Emails disappearing

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
suemra

Emails disappearing

Post by suemra »

I have ladies put their emails in their individual "Household" section. I email things out to the entire RS and suddenly noticed that 3 of my ladies emails have suddenly disappeared, which were once showing. I know 2 of these ladies at least just added their emails to lds.org themselves. Now the next month they are gone. How do I get them back into the "Organization" section (which allows me to email all RS sisters at same time)? (I can get their emails by looking at "Household" section, but they are gone from "Organization" section.)
Thank you for help with the problem.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Emails disappearing

Post by aebrown »

Each household can have an email address, and each individual can also have an email address. Those are distinct addresses that are stored (although anyone is welcome to use the same address for their individual email as for the household email).

The email that shows in the "Organizations" section is the person's individual email address. So what you are describing sounds like these sisters either removed or changed the privacy settings for their individual email addresses. Although it's nice that they have household email addresses, that won't help you when you try to send an email to the organization -- only an individual email address will work there.

So talk to the sisters involved and make sure that they have entered an individual email address and that its privacy is set to at least the Ward level (Stake is fine, too).
suemra

Post by suemra »

I had them change their privacy setting in the first place so that I could see it in the "Organization". I asked all 3 of those ladies and they said they had not changed anything at all on the website from the time we had their emails showing to the time the emails disappeared. Anything else I can try?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

suemra wrote:I had them change their privacy setting in the first place so that I could see it in the "Organization". I asked all 3 of those ladies and they said they had not changed anything at all on the website from the time we had their emails showing to the time the emails disappeared. Anything else I can try?
Well, you haven't explained what the current settings are for these 3 sisters, so it's tough to give any suggestions. It would help to know:
  • Do they have an individual email address?
  • What is the privacy setting for the individual email address?
Note that I'm not asking what you can see, since there could be different reasons why you might not see their email addresses. I'm asking what they see when they edit their own profile (in the Directory on LDS.org, click on My Household, then Edit).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:The email that shows in the "Organizations" section is the person's individual email address.
The household e-mail address, provided there is one, will be listed in the Organizations section when an individual does not have a personal e-mail address.

I have no way to verify this but I think the visibility setting for the household e-mail address will affect the display of the e-mail address in the Organizations section when an individual does not have an individual e-mail address. If the household e-mail address visibility is set to "private - leadership only" and the individual does not have a personal e-mail address then no e-mail address will be listed in the Organizations section.

Except for a bug, there is no situation I can come up with in which an individual has a personal e-mail address publicly visible (Stake or ward visibility setting) that should not be displayed in the Organization section.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
suemra

Post by suemra »

Interesting, that after going over the RS list again--there are actually 8 ladies without emails showing now! The emails show up in the Household section of the directory, but they are gone in the organization section. (Which is where all my emails to my RS ladies come from). All these ladies have their setting on Stake or Ward visibility.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

suemra wrote:Interesting, that after going over the RS list again--there are actually 8 ladies without emails showing now! The emails show up in the Household section of the directory, but they are gone in the organization section. (Which is where all my emails to my RS ladies come from). All these ladies have their setting on Stake or Ward visibility.
It's important to understand both the individual and the household email settings. So for at least one of these sisters, could you please report on:
  • Do they have an individual email?
  • What is the individual email's privacy setting?
  • Do they have a household email?
  • What is the household email's privacy setting?
suemra

Post by suemra »

All 8 of the sisters have individual emails already in MLS (ver. 3.5.3). Some have household emails, some don't.

The ward clerk made the following changes for me:

For one of the sisters, I added a household email and did a send/rec and then the email showed up in the RS list. I'd remove the household email but leave the individual email, send/rec and the email would drop off the RS list.

All the others I tried the same thing (add household email if missing) but the email wouldn't show up in the RS list. I could add a individual phone and it would show in the RS list after the send/rec. But no amount of changes to either the individual email or the household email made any difference with the other sisters.

We had one new family record show up and I added the sister's individual email and it showed up in the RS list just fine.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting results, but we still don't know the answer on the privacy settings. Note that there is individual settings for each item of contact information. That includes one setting each for household email, personal email, and personal phone number. That could explain why some sisters information didn't appear in the RS list.

There has been a prior report of privacy settings apparently changing themselves. I don't think that was ever tracked down, so even if they were checked once, the settings should be verified at each step to see if they've changed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
suemra

Post by suemra »

I checked with 1 of my 8 ladies and she said her visibility setting for her email on her individual record is still "ward level". What is the next step?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”