lds.org has changed to a foreign language

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

lds.org has changed to a foreign language

Post by rmrichesjr »

Today, lds.org has apparently spontaneously changed from English to some foreign language, possibly Spanish. Every day, up to and including yesterday, it was in English. I reside in an English-speaking stake in the USA. To the best of my knowledge, I have not done anything to change any language settings. Every other web site I visit, including this forum, appears in English. My computer's locale is all set to "en_US.UTF-8" except for LC_TIME=POSIX and LC_COLLATE=C.

There isn't even a feedback link in English on the new site. Any suggestions to getting this fixed?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rmrichesjr wrote:Today, lds.org has apparently spontaneously changed from English to some foreign language, possibly Spanish. Every day, up to and including yesterday, it was in English. I reside in an English-speaking stake in the USA. To the best of my knowledge, I have not done anything to change any language settings. Every other web site I visit, including this forum, appears in English. My computer's locale is all set to "en_US.UTF-8" except for LC_TIME=POSIX and LC_COLLATE=C.

There isn't even a feedback link in English on the new site. Any suggestions to getting this fixed?
There's a language dropdown at the top right corner of the header for lds.org (to the right of the "Sign In"/"Sign out" link). It's labeled "Language" in English, but "Idiomas" in Spanish and "Sprachen" in German.

The setting of that dropdown is stored in a cookie, and overrides any computer locale or browser setting (although I'm guessing that its initial value is set according to the locale of the computer).

My guess is that you inadvertently changed the language. If so, you should be able to simply change the language back to English using that dropdown.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

aebrown wrote:There's a language dropdown at the top right corner of the header for lds.org (to the right of the "Sign In"/"Sign out" link). It's labeled "Language" in English, but "Idiomas" in Spanish and "Sprachen" in German.

The setting of that dropdown is stored in a cookie, and overrides any computer locale or browser setting (although I'm guessing that its initial value is set according to the locale of the computer).

My guess is that you inadvertently changed the language. If so, you should be able to simply change the language back to English using that dropdown.

Thank you for the suggestion and the spellings in multiple languages. I'm pretty sure I didn't click on that link/button and then select Spanish. The good news for me is I didn't have to do anything. I went to the page again, and it's back to English all by itself. (Problems that fix themselves often cause me to suspect there might be someone behind the curtain doing the fixing...)

Hopefully, if anyone else runs into this, your posting might help them fix it if it doesn't fix itself for them too.

Thanks.
kowallis6

Re: lds.org has changed to a foreign language

Post by kowallis6 »

This is happening again with your new update.
The website loads fine in Internet Explorer, but Firefox loads in another language, most of the time Spanish, but sometimes in French.

I have checked my settings and it says my language is English US. I have also cleared my cache and my cookies.

Would really like to have it load in English, and in Firefox browser.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

kowallis6 wrote:This is happening again with your new update.
This thread is an old thread. The more current threads recently discussing the reappearance of the language problem is discussed in these threads: Website in Spanish (or other languages) and Why does my LDS.org default to Spanish?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kowallis6

Post by kowallis6 »

Have looked at those as well. You, however, haven't answered any thing about a resolution.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kowallis6 wrote:You, however, haven't answered any thing about a resolution.
At this point there is no answer. I know the developers are aware of it and are having an internal discussion, but I have no idea about a timeline or priority on the fix.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kowallis6

Post by kowallis6 »

Thank you. Glad to know.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

I just look at it as a hint that I need to learn Spanish.

Return to “Main Church Website”