Missionary tools app.

markgnorthcott

Missionary tools app.

Post by markgnorthcott »

With the recent announcement for missionaries being given more access to the internet, facebook and devices for use in their gospel sharing activities, should there be specific apps created to help them, as well as member missionaries, to effectively engage investigators online? Investigator tracking, GIS enabled maps (tracted areas, investigator locations, member locations, and notes for all), appointment schedules, offline video storage and display, an interactive app for preach my gospel, and a portal to facebook which would limit the wrong kinds of interactions are all things which should be involved (basically anything they do on pen and paper now, should be planned to be worked into an app.) I believe this should be a high priority to help give this new influx of missionaries the tools to serve respectfully without falling to the temptations of the internet. My general idea is something focussed around a ruggedized, secured tablet for missionaries with a companion app for members who would like to join in their ward's missionary effort (with securityas determined by their lds account info.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Missionary tools app.

Post by russellhltn »

I didn't hear anything about mobile devices.
“During less-productive times of the day — chiefly in the mornings — missionaries will use computers in meetinghouses and other church facilities to contact investigators and members, work with local priesthood leaders and missionary leaders, receive and contact referrals, follow up on commitments, confirm appointments and teach principles from [the missionary guide] “Preach My Gospel” using Mormon.org, Facebook, blogs, email and text messages,”
We'll have to wait and see the details.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

iPads weren't mentioned specifically in the broadcast itself, but the church Newsroom does mention iPads and says that their use throughout the world is "anticipated":

"Speaking earlier in the day to new mission presidents, Church leaders said that missionary use of the Internet and digital devices such as iPads will begin in phases and only in designated missions for the rest of this year. The Church anticipates these tools will be available to missionaries throughout the world sometime next year."
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/m ... -broadcast

Ideas for a "Missionary App Suite" including (especially) an area book app have been discussed on this forum before, but there were no definite answers that the missionary department would make it a reality. Given the announcements, digital missionary tools appear to be under development (probably already in use on a small scale, in beta format, and/or internally). We'll see if they open it up fully to community development as an LDSTech project...
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

P.S. Check out the clips at the beginning of the broadcast, particularly from 0:45 to 0:49, for a glance at what looks like a real, working, digital area book! Exciting! :)
http://www.lds.org/broadcasts/watch/the ... 6?lang=eng

Return to “Mobile Applications”