Callings for members in dependent branch

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
dtindall

Callings for members in dependent branch

Post by dtindall »

We have a dependent (Spanish-speaking) branch attached to our ward. The children attend our Primary and youth programs, and the youth hold callings in the YM/YW.
Is there any way to incorporate these youth and children within our MLS so we can show callings and birthdays, etc? We have a similar problem the other direction, when some of our members with children are called to serve in the branch. We ship off their records, but the children go with them even though they remain active in the ward.
This is a long-standing issue. We were working around it five and six years ago when I was bishop. I think we had a clunky workaround that let us enter the children as generic non-members, but they could not hold priesthood callings (quorum officers), and all the management was manually forced--we had to get the branch clerk to periodically extract the members, and we had to manually enter and maintain them.
I have just been called as ward clerk, and am dismayed to find that we don't even maintain that level any more.
This is not a unique problem. Is there a workable official or unofficial way to have MLS manage this?
eblood66

Re: Callings for members in dependent branch

Post by eblood66 »

dtindall wrote:We have a dependent (Spanish-speaking) branch attached to our ward. The children attend our Primary and youth programs, and the youth hold callings in the YM/YW.
Is there any way to incorporate these youth and children within our MLS so we can show callings and birthdays, etc? We have a similar problem the other direction, when some of our members with children are called to serve in the branch. We ship off their records, but the children go with them even though they remain active in the ward.
This is a long-standing issue. We were working around it five and six years ago when I was bishop. I think we had a clunky workaround that let us enter the children as generic non-members, but they could not hold priesthood callings (quorum officers), and all the management was manually forced--we had to get the branch clerk to periodically extract the members, and we had to manually enter and maintain them.
I have just been called as ward clerk, and am dismayed to find that we don't even maintain that level any more.
This is not a unique problem. Is there a workable official or unofficial way to have MLS manage this?
You can use out-of-unit records for both purposes. It sounds like this may involve quite a few people so it will be quite a bit of work to maintain but out-of-unit records allow you to enter birthdate and ordinance information so the members will correctly show up on class roles and can be given callings, including quorum leaders.

For leaders who serve in the branch but who have children it would generally be better to keep their records in the ward and use out-of-unit records in the branch to give them leadership callings there.
dtindall

Post by dtindall »

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I appreciate the very quick response.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

For the birthday lists/class rolls, you could work with the branch to have the same class structure as you. Then they could provide the lists/rolls of their members that meet with you. It would mean you would have two lists/rolls to check.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dtindall wrote:We have a similar problem the other direction, when some of our members with children are called to serve in the branch. We ship off their records, but the children go with them even though they remain active in the ward.
Check the handbook for reference, but I'm not sure that in that situation the records should be shipped off. The unit they are serving in should create an out-of-unit record. The official membership records should be staying in their home ward. (Along with their children.)

Even if you do send the records, the children shouldn't go with them unless it's processed as a family move.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”