Counselor Listed in Separate Bishopric

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mechdrew

Counselor Listed in Separate Bishopric

Post by mechdrew »

Currently our ward shows two Bishoprics in CDOL. Normally I would associate this with the duplicate callings issue, but the problem is that our bishop and first counselor show up only in the first bishopric, and our second counselor only shows up in the second bishopric. None of these three are duplicated. I don't know what the proper procedure is here. How do I merge them as one bishopric?

Our ward was just created last month, and we have been facing several issues with our callings. Most of the issues have revolved around callings not appearing in MLS and duplicates in CDOL. Yes, we have followed the wiki document on correcting these issues. It wasn't until today that I found our priesthood quorums had finally synced with CDOL. We still have duplicates in other callings and are continuing to attempt to fix them. If it helps, the two assistant clerks (myself included) are entered multiple times; I only appear twice in the first bishopric, the finance clerk appears twice in the first bishopric and once in the second bishopric. So the only two callings listed under the second bishopric are the second counselor (only appearance) and the finance clerk (one of the three appearances).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Counselor Listed in Separate Bishopric

Post by jdlessley »

The Correcting duplicate or missing callings procedure outlined in the wiki may require doing the Unit data refresh several times. Between each unit data refresh the entire calling needs to be deleted in MLS. Deleting the calling involves not just removing the person's name from the calling but the entire calling line.

In an example where there may be two ward assistant clerk - finance positions listed in CDOL, the unit data refresh is done to bring in all the callings from CDOL into MLS. In step seven of the procedure, where it says to clean up any duplicates, you should delete all the ward assistant clerk - finance positions in MLS. The idea is to remove all of the duplicates from both MLS and CDOL so the calling can be entered from scratch. This will ensure the duplicate causing the problem is the one that is removed.

If after doing one unit data refresh, deleting the entire calling line(s), and doing a send/receive, with the appropriate wait times per the procedure instructions, and the callings persist in CDOL, then do the procedure again. I've had to do this as many as three times to clear the calling from CDOL. After the ward assistant clerk - finance no longer appears in CDOL then the calling can be entered into MLS and followed by a send/receive. Do not re-enter the ward assistant clerk - finance in MLS until CDOL shows there is no ward assistant clerk - finance.

I recommend removing all duplicate callings before attempting to re-enter any callings. You may find the duplicate organizations may clear up once the problem callings are removed. Attempting to re-enter any callings while the duplicate organizations persist may make correcting these duplicate organizations difficult.

Tier one positions, Bishop and Branch President, are more difficult to correct because tier one positions must be entered using a LUCR in stake MLS.

Having multiple organizations may require intervention by LUS if the correcting duplicate or missing callings procedure does not correct the problem.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I can fix the multiple bishoprics on Monday at work.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

JonesRK wrote:I can fix the multiple bishoprics on Monday at work.
The multiple bishoprics are fixed now. You should be able to clean up the rest of the duplicates from MLS after you request a refresh (and then get it sent down). Let me know if you have other problems that you can't fix.
mechdrew

Post by mechdrew »

Thanks for merging the bishoprics, Ryan. However, I still have issues with duplicates. I've attempted to refresh the unit data several times over the last week and it doesn't seem to get proper data from CDOL. CDOL still shows two copies of the finance clerk (neither of the assistant clerk positions show up in MLS). Before starting this process last week, we had three copies of the Relief Society presidency in CDOL (two copies in the proper Relief Society with the other RS callings, and a separate RS with only the presidency). A few days ago after a refresh, I deleted the presidency that appeared in MLS (I have never seen duplicates in MLS, despite what the callings wiki page says) and sent the changes. While one of the copies from the correct RS was deleted successfully, we still have the other two copies and neither are appearing in MLS so I can't proceed any further. I just performed another refresh prior to posting, nothing has changed. This also affects our Primary, Young Women, and Sunday School, which show up properly in CDOL now (they only had two copies previously so deleting the MLS versions was sufficient) but MLS still does not have any leadership for those organizations. Any suggestions?
mechdrew

Post by mechdrew »

The patch installed today in MLS, but didn't help the situation. We still have duplicates online and lack callings in MLS. I've refreshed the unit data several times since my last post nearly two weeks ago, none of the refreshes help. This problem has become even more troublesome because our finance clerk cannot authorize donation batches unless he has the calling under MLS, even though there are two copies of his calling in CDOL.

Can someone please help us?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Your best bet is to call Local Unit Support. Most of us are just users like yourself and cannot help.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”