Sunday events appear on Saturday

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
drepouille

Sunday events appear on Saturday

Post by drepouille »

I created an event for High Council Sunday on the third Sunday of November 2013, and made it a recurring event for the third Sunday of November. When I look at November 2014, the event is shown on Saturday, November 15th. When I edit the event it clearly shows "third Sunday of November".

So why is it displayed on a Saturday?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sunday events appear on Saturday

Post by russellhltn »

I tried it, but couldn't duplicate it. Not even with a all-day event. But then I don't deal with daylight savings. That might create a problems for a all-day events.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I should have said I am using the latest version of Chrome on Windows 7.

I was very frustrated while updating the calendar last night. Some recurring events were displayed twice. When I deleted an apparent duplicate, both of them disappeared. It seems like I have to double-check every change I make to the calendar to ensure it got posted correctly.

Recurring events seem to be a huge weakness. Especially problematic is trying to shift a recurring event into the future. I found I have to change the recurring event back to a single event with a new start date, save it, and then change it back to a recurring event. Otherwise, older occurrences don't get removed.

I think I may just give up on recurring events, and post everything as a single event. Single events are processed more quickly, without the spinner of death. Single events are also more flexible.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:I think I may just give up on recurring events, and post everything as a single event.
This is what we do when we know there will be adjustments and changes.

And daylight saving time will affect the display of an all-day event in the future because the program now believes the event starts at 11:00 pm Saturday instead of midnight Sunday, so it displays the event on Saturday after DST ends on the first Sunday in November.
pjp4405

Post by pjp4405 »

So if you are adding a holiday event to the November 2014 calendar, such as Thanksgiving, the workaround solution is to not make it an all-day event? We're shortening Thanksgiving?!! :-)

When you add Christmas to the December calendar for example, there is no issue. It seems that there is an issue specifically tied to November.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

pjp4405 wrote:It seems that there is an issue specifically tied to November.
Yes. Daylight Saving Time ends on the first Sunday in November. Here we go again!
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

what timezone is this in?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I am currently in CDT. When I look at the November 2013 calendar, I see one or two "all day" events on the previous day. At least, that is what I saw a couple days ago. I just looked now, and those events appear on Sunday. Weird things are happening.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I am currently in CDT. When I look at the November 2013 calendar, I see one or two "all day" events on the previous day. At least, that is what I saw a couple days ago. I just looked now, and those events appear on Sunday. Weird things are happening.
They just released an update, so it might have been fixed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Hallelujah! The November calendar bug is fixed!

OOPS! The bug is fixed for November 2013, but it is still broken for November 2014!

Return to “Calendar”