Passwordless Administrator Account

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
kenrlaird

Passwordless Administrator Account

Post by kenrlaird »

I'm setting up new clerk computers, following the procedure in the "Setting Up a New Clerk Computer" document. I setup the Clerk account, per that document. We recently discovered that the "Administrator" account on these new Dell computers does not have a password set. Should I be disabling that account or adding a password to prevent accidental use?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Passwordless Administrator Account

Post by russellhltn »

Just to be clear, are you able to log into the Administrator account without a password? The reason I ask is that Win7 seems a little quirky and tends to reserve "Administrator" for it's own process.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kenrlaird wrote:I'm setting up new clerk computers, following the procedure in the "Setting Up a New Clerk Computer" document. I setup the Clerk account, per that document. We recently discovered that the "Administrator" account on these new Dell computers does not have a password set. Should I be disabling that account or adding a password to prevent accidental use?
I have not seen any specific instructions on this. Our STS sets a simple password and keeps a record of it so someone will not go wandering around on the computer, and in case something happens to the main account used by the Clerk.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

kenrlaird wrote:Should I be disabling that account or adding a password to prevent accidental use?
The Administrator account in Windows 7 defaults to being disabled and hidden. Is it possible that someone there might have changed the status to active?

To disable the account (recommended), open a CMD window with Admin privileges and type the following:

net user administrator /active:no
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kenrlaird

Post by kenrlaird »

The Administrator account really doesn't have a password.
No, it has not been automatically disabled. It shows up on every one of the 7 new computers I have installed when I reboot at the end of the Sophos install.
Thanks for the command. I will disable the Administrator account on these machines as I get the opportunity.

Return to “Clerk Computers”