What happens to my account after my death?

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
btbevans

What happens to my account after my death?

Post by btbevans »

My LDS account is the link to all of the things I have entered into my gospel library. In the event I were to die I would still want my family to have the ability to read the things I have added to my scriptures. Is this possible?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: What happens to my account after my death?

Post by russellhltn »

Once your ward clerk has notified the church of your death, I'd expect your LDS Account to be disabled.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I can only theorize on what would happen as did russellhltn. However, passwords and online lives are becoming increasingly important to organize with your affairs. If there are things in your online scriptures you'd like to share with your loved ones, you should make sure others know this and know how to access it. It's probably going to be a little bit before your death is recorded and if others knew to go look, they could. If you have notes on a mobile device, someone might be able to look at them for a while, especially if syncing/wifi is turned off.

There are things you can do help your loved ones know about and access things like this, but that's off topic for this post.

If this is important to you, I suggest you use the feedback link to submit your request. At least that way decision makers at the Church become more aware of how people are using the tools and their needs.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

btbevans wrote:My LDS account is the link to all of the things I have entered into my gospel library. In the event I were to die I would still want my family to have the ability to read the things I have added to my scriptures. Is this possible?
Give those things to your family now. Shortly after your date of death is recorded on your membership record, your LDS Account will stop working and you will get the same error message at login as if you typed them incorrectly.

"Shortly" in the case with which I am intimately familiar was about two days. The MLS update was sent on Sunday. The LDS Account login did not work on Tuesday. I did not try on Monday.
holgate

Post by holgate »

How as a trustee for someone who has died can I obtain donation information from their account? I do have the login name and password. When I try I am able to login but am not able to access the donations page.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

holgate wrote:How as a trustee for someone who has died can I obtain donation information from their account?
I would think that the clerk in the ward where the deceased lived would be able to provide the information to you. And if not that, you would be able to obtain the information from Church headquarters, probably with a simple request to the Financial Department with a copy of the document appointing you as trustee.

And if there is a living member spouse, I would start there first.

Return to “Church Account”