Will a newsletter update be emailed to members?

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
lsstone

Will a newsletter update be emailed to members?

Post by lsstone »

If I add a ward newsletter will it be sent out to the members who have opted to have calendar updates by email? Do they have to log in to the website to see the newsletter? I want to suggest that our ward utilize this feature but not sure others will log on to see it. I think if updates were automatically emailed to those who have selected that option it would be much more effective. Does anyone have any experience with using it in this way?
Warmly,
Liz
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Will a newsletter update be emailed to members?

Post by russellhltn »

lsstone wrote:If I add a ward newsletter will it be sent out to the members who have opted to have calendar updates by email?
No. But you may want to look at the Newsletter Help file for tips on how to send a notice that the newsletter has been updated.

lsstone wrote:Do they have to log in to the website to see the newsletter?
Yes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I work with various ward organizations to get them using the tools, including the Newsletter. They all like the newsletter, but they want it to notify their organization members. Since it doesn't, they continue with their emails to their organization membership. However, I'm getting more of the emails posted in the newsletter so if members go there they have content.

I agree that the newsletter needs some kind of notification mechanism for it to be more widely adopted. Until then, I know there are at least two of us in the ward who look at the Newsletter.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It would be a nice feature, but it needs to be thought out. I wouldn't want to get a email for each edit someone does to a newsletter.

Given the number of editors, I'm not sure as I'd want each editor to be able to trigger the email, or I might get 3 notices in one week. I'd want some way for an editor to signal that they are done, but then wait for some period of time (for any other editors to do a update) and then send the email.

On top of that, not all edits are of interest to me. So I'd want some way of subscribing to what updates I'd be notified about.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I would think you would subscribe to categories you're interested in. People should have choices such as immediate email, daily digest, or weekly digest. I'm not sure what to do about updates. I'm also divided as to whether the email just lets them know there are new articles with links to them or if the actual article content is in the email.

Return to “Newsletter”