Can't add new MLS user

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
surf40

Can't add new MLS user

Post by surf40 »

Went to add a new MLS user. He was in the Bishopric years ago, so his name was on the list as inactive. I reactivated it, and went to add the privileges as HGPL, but the system gave me an error of "This member is already associated with a user. Please select another member"

Nothing I could do could keep this error from occurring. I tried removing him again, then adding him with a new user name, but kept getting the same error. How can I get him back on MLS?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Can't add new MLS user

Post by russellhltn »

You should be able to reactivate him and update his permissions. If you are unable to do that, I'd suggest contacting Local Unit Support.

Since he was in the bishopric, he most likely had some finical transactions done under his login. As a result, you won't really be able to delete him - just inactivate him. Since you can't delete him, you will be unable to create a new user associated with his membership record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrownDennisRay1

trouble creating user

Post by BrownDennisRay1 »

I need to setup a new ward finance clerk with access to MLS. This member has been in the bishopric twice before. Unfortunately, he has had two different user names. Both of which are now inactive. Now when I try to create a new user or activate a prior username, the system responds with "This person is already associated with a user name". I think this situation occurs because the latest update set rules in place to prevent the situation we now have, but it is not letting me give this individual access. How can I resolve this?

Dennis Brown, Hidden Canyon Ward, North Las Vegas
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator note

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: The previous post was merged with this thread since the topics are the same.]

Take a look at russellhltn's post.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

BrownDennisRay1 wrote:Unfortunately, he has had two different user names. Both of which are now inactive. Now when I try to create a new user or activate a prior username, the system responds with "This person is already associated with a user name".
This topic doesn't yet cover the issues related to the problem where multiple MLS users are associated with the same MRN (which was possible before MLS 3.3). That sounds like the problem you're having. For guidance on that issue, see this post in a separate topic.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I wonder if it has to do with giving the user different permissions than he had before because he's in a different calling. Hypothetically, if the user were a financial clerk before, and is reactivated as a financial clerk, with the same permissions and assigned to the calling under organizations, maybe it would work...

I notice in both cases documented here, the person was previously a bishop, and bishops have more rights than a high priest group leader or assistant clerk would have. So, in other words, maybe as a bishop he had privileges that are saved in the user account by virtue of his previous calling that aren't possible to restore while he is in his current calling.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:I wonder if it has to do with giving the user different permissions than he had before because he's in a different calling.
I don't think so. By in large, In MLS, one's rights and one's calling are two different things with no connection to each other.

It appears the problem is that two user accounts were connected to the same membership record. But the new version of MLS doesn't allow that.

I'm not sure why they created a new account instead of using the old one, but it may have to do with some ward's prior bad practice of creating accounts for the position (Bishop) and not the person (Brother Smith). So now they have two accounts pointing to the same MRN and MLS is having a hissy fit about reactivating either one.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sbradshaw wrote:I wonder if it has to do with giving the user different permissions than he had before because he's in a different calling.
Definitely not. MLS is accurately reporting that the MRN of the MLS user you are trying to save is associated with another MLS user (at least one other user, possibly more), which is not allowed by current MLS.

Therefore the only possible fix is to remove the association for that MRN from all other MLS users (the ones you don't want to keep as active users) and make sure that only the one MLS user you want to keep for this user is associated with that MRN.
BrownDennisRay1

Post by BrownDennisRay1 »

I think you are on the right track with your suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the power to redo the associations. The second account was setup by mistake not realizing that another one existed. I know SQL databases, but I don't think you want me to mess with your database.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

BrownDennisRay1 wrote:I think you are on the right track with your suggestion. Unfortunately, I don't think I have the power to redo the associations. The second account was setup by mistake not realizing that another one existed. I know SQL databases, but I don't think you want me to mess with your database.
If you have rights to add users then you must be an admin for MLS. If you're an admin then you can also edit an existing (disabled) user and change the associated member to someone else. There isn't any need to directly access the database (I pretty sure it's encrypted so you couldn't anyway).

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”