About Configuring a New Clerk Computer

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
Dagostino_J

About Configuring a New Clerk Computer

Post by Dagostino_J »

Hi,
Nothing to read about the Clerk's User Account in the Setting up a new clerk's computer documentation !
I find it's not a good idee to give the full Administrator Rights to the Clerk's account but...
- it will not be possible for him to update some programms even MLS !!
What do you think about it ?
Is any documentation or solution solving this issue, without giving Administrator Right to every Clerk's account ??
Thank you for any advise or feedback, and greetings from Switzerland ;)
I'm on Windows 7 SP1
Jerome.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: About Configuring a New Clerk Computer

Post by aebrown »

dagostino_j wrote:Nothing to read about the Clerk's User Account in the Setting up a new clerk's computer documentation !
I think you're referring to the documentation on the Record Keeping and Technology Support site titled Setting Up a New Clerk Computer (you can only see this document if you sign in and have a calling that gives you access).

If you follow the instructions in that document, you will see that when you are setting up the CLERK account, you are creating the main account for the computer, which is by default an Administrator account. Since you're never given instructions to change the rights for that account, it will remain an Administrator account.
dagostino_j wrote:I find it's not a good idee to give the full Administrator Rights to the Clerk's account but...
- it will not be possible for him to update some programms even MLS !!
What do you think about it ?
The instructions are clear: because of the way MLS updates itself, we are required to give the CLERK Windows account full Administrator rights. I think you'll find widespread agreement that this is not a great security practice, but it's what we have to do for now.

This has been discussed many times on this forum; see, for example:
dagostino_j wrote:Is any documentation or solution solving this issue, without giving Administrator Right to every Clerk's account ??
As you can read in many discussions of this issue (the ones I linked to above are only a small sample), we have always been told to make the CLERK account an Administrator account, and have never been given instructions for giving that account lesser rights. We have seen multiple reports of people trying on their own to run MLS with lesser rights, but although they sometimes think it works at first, there are problems with updates. And note that MLS is not the only factor; it's essential that clerk computers run TEM and Sophos, and we've seen no documentation from the Church about the rights required for those to run properly.

So my conclusion is that until we receive different instructions, we should continue to make the CLERK account an Administrator account. Yes, it's not a good security practice, but given the way the current software works, its what we need to do.
Dagostino_J

Re: About Configuring a New Clerk Computer

Post by Dagostino_J »

Well, thank you so much "aebrown" you answer perfectly all my questions ;)

Return to “Clerk Computers”