FHC networking New Printers

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
Bizegrama

FHC networking New Printers

Post by Bizegrama »

Need some input from LDS Tech forum. As FHC director I usually set up the FHC computers since we are a distance from the STS, and am able to do it. We have Cisco 881W box with an Ethernet switch box. Our internet service is TWC [finally faster internet :) ]. The networked printers are connected to the switch box.

I currently have two computers as follows:

(1) HP Small Form, only 1 mb ram, Win XP Professional (originally computer shipped as part of digital imaging unit in 2004). It has a SCSI card for the Canon Microfilm Scanner 300. Patrons currently use the Canon 300 to download images to jumpdrives or print images.
(2) Lenovo tower (cascaded computer) with Win 7.

Our FHC recently received two cascaded Lenovo tower computers with Win 7. Since our space is very limited, I may or may not be able to set up the 2nd cascaded Lenovo tower (still trying to figure out how to squeeze it all into very limited space). We are supposed to receive new computers next year, and the cascaded computers are to tide us over until then. [Cascaded computer it much faster than the HP :) ].

The FHC received two new printers. Lexmark MX511dhe & Lexmark MS510dn. I have followed the instructions and set up the static ip, which is needed for the Lexmark MX511dhe. [Need a longer network cable for the MS510, so will do later].

I had no problem locating the networked Lexmark MX511dhe on the Lenovo with Win 7 and selected it as printer. I can print from it without any problems. But I could not seem to locate it with the HP Small Form with Win XP Professional. When I type the static ip in the browser it says Lexmark MX511dhe, but then will not go to it. And when trying to install it as a printer, the HP doesn’t even locate it.

Questions:

(1) Do I need to switch out the HP with the other Lenovo with Win 7? Or is there a way I can get the HP to recognize the networked printer?
(2) If need to switch out to Lenovo with Win 7, I know I saw some comments on this forum previously about switching the SCSI card for Canon 300 scanner. I believe someone stated on forum to contact FH support & request a full or half height SCSI card. I am assuming I cannot just switch the current card over to the Win 7 computer.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Shirley
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: FHC networking New Printers

Post by jdlessley »

The printer is new enough that Windows XP will not have a native print driver for that printer. Windows XP will not recognize it if there is no native print driver or the print driver has not been installed.

Have you installed the print driver from the printer's distribution disk? Even if you have, I would download and install the latest one from Lexmark's web site to ensure you have the latest and possibly the best driver.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: FHC networking New Printers

Post by russellhltn »

Generally, cascaded computers are to replace existing computers, not to add to your computer count. There might be exceptions, but unless the Family History Department said they want you to increase the number of computers, it's most likely a replacement for old/outdated computers that are showing up in your inventory.

I'm not sure about the card. If your computer will take half-height cards, I'd try the existing card in the new computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History Centers”