Instructional Help Files Do Not Match the Program

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
GordManning

Instructional Help Files Do Not Match the Program

Post by GordManning »

Maybe I have missed something. Maybe there are updated instructions I can't find. I'm using Calendar version 2.5. Upon review of the Help files I note the help files do not match the features on the Calendar program. When might the help files be updated? As an example, "Printing the Calendar" "Go to Settings > Print". When one goes to Settings, "Print" is not one of the options. There is now a printer symbol beside the Settings symbol that is not referred to in the help files. Help instructions that do not keep up with changes in the calendar program causes confusion and frustration for novice users trying to learn how to use the Ward/stake calendar on line. I note in the 2.5 release note there is reference to the change in Restrictions versus Reservations, yet the help files still refer to Reservations. Have I missed something here too? :confused:
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Instructional Help Files Do Not Match the Program

Post by aebrown »

You haven't missed anything. The help files are indeed well behind the changes made to the Calendar (and other LDS.org tools).

Unfortunately, for whatever reasons (I assume budget constraints), the technical writer who created most of this documentation was laid off back in January. I've heard that there is a plan for outsourcing updates to the documentation, but it doesn't seem to be keeping up with the changes.

At one point, the help was on the wiki, which would have allowed us as a community to update it, but that didn't meet the Church's goals for translation and other requirements, so that format was abandoned last year.

So I'm not sure how to respond. I completely agree that it is confusing to users when documentation doesn't match the application, particularly when terminology (such as Restrictions vs. Reservations) changes. I guess we just need to be patient.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Instructional Help Files Do Not Match the Program

Post by jdlessley »

Another avenue to pursue is to submit feedback using the LDS.org feedback link. Ever since the technical publications team was eliminated in January the help documentation for all the LDS.org Tools have become out of date.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”