Distribution Costs

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
fernsten

Distribution Costs

Post by fernsten »

Is there a quick way to move funds to the distribution account from an auxiliary budget for items purchased by that auxiliary unit?
Gary_Miller

Re: Distribution Costs

Post by Gary_Miller »

Don't move the funds move the expense by doing a category correction to the expense. That way the expense will show in the auxiliaries budget.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

fernsten wrote:Is there a quick way to move funds to the distribution account from an auxiliary budget for items purchased by that auxiliary unit?
You can do this in the Edit Budget screen. Decrease the auxiliary budget by the amount and increase the Distribution Center Charges budget by the amount. I do not recommend managing expenses this way because it does not show the true budget to which an organization has planned to work within. I recommend the method Gary_Miller pointed out in which the expense is recategorized. This way the expense is debited against the auxiliary account and the president then has a true picture of his/her organization's budget and expenditures.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
fernsten

Post by fernsten »

Perfect. Thank you both for the feedback. Last year we had just fudged the budget, but I wanted something to keep better track of the expenses. Category correction it is. Thanks again!
fernsten

Post by fernsten »

So, when I change the category on our distribution center charges, they don't stick after hitting save. I'm prompted to provide a reason for the change, but when I go back it in the expense category is still tied to the distribution center charges budget account. Any thoughts?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Once you have completed a category change then there should be two transactions displayed on the View/Update Expenses screen with nearly the same reference number. The transfer transaction line will have the same reference number with a leading "***". The amount for the original transaction will still be the same. The amount for the transfer transaction line will be $0.00. Also note the status for each transaction line. The original transaction from the distribution center will show an "Issued" status. The transaction for the transfer will show a "Not sent" status.

Following a send/receive the status for the transfer transacion line will be "Sent". Once the transfer is recorded at headquarters and then updated in MLS following some future send/receive the status for the both transaction lines will be changed to "Recorded". This is when the amounts will change to reflect the transfer.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”