Re-image OS/upgrade to windows 7

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
ktchugg

Re-image OS/upgrade to windows 7

Post by ktchugg »

One of the computers in my stake center is the only computer still running windows XP. It is not scheduled to be replace until 2015. The clerks in this ward have been reporting several blue screens with this computer. It appears to be a graphics card driver issue and I have tried a few fixes and it doesn't seem to remediate the blue screen problem. Am I authorized to reformat and reload all the applications or better yet upgrade the system to Windows 7? If so do I need to download the OS software from a church repository? I assume the church is looking to upgrade the OS for all the windows XP systems because the end of support is coming early 2014. Please advise.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Re-image OS/upgrade to windows 7

Post by russellhltn »

ktchugg wrote:Am I authorized to reformat and reload all the applications or better yet upgrade the system to Windows 7?
Check the OS license sticker on the side of the machine. If it says Win7, then you can.

I've not seen what the church's plans are for machines still running XP and not due for replacement until after April 2014.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BTW, I'd download and run Memtest86 and test your machine. No point in reloading if it's a hardware problem.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ktchugg

Post by ktchugg »

Thanks for the help. I will check it out.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:BTW, I'd download and run Memtest86 and test your machine. No point in reloading if it's a hardware problem.
And if it is a hardware problem, go through your Assistant Stake Clerk -- Technology (STS) who will work with the stake PFR and the FM group to repair or replace the hardware.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

russellhltn wrote:
ktchugg wrote:Am I authorized to reformat and reload all the applications or better yet upgrade the system to Windows 7?
Check the OS license sticker on the side of the machine. If it says Win7, then you can.

I've not seen what the church's plans are for machines still running XP and not due for replacement until after April 2014.
Church employee bfromm states here if the sticker says Windows 7, the STS can request an image.
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

I've worked on machines with a similar problem (blue screens related to a video driver), and reloading the machine fixed the issue. I tried a number of things first like updating drivers, installing updates, etc., but nothing seemed to work. It sounds like the sticker on the machine is for Windows XP. Can you confirm the make and model and then call Local Unit Support to request an image? If they aren't sure about sending an image, have them send me an email. I'm working with support to get this process documented and in place.

In terms of Windows XP going end of life, we don't have a stance at this point. We will be discussing it internally and with Microsoft, and I'll post an update once we have one.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote:
russellhltn wrote:BTW, I'd download and run Memtest86 and test your machine. No point in reloading if it's a hardware problem.
And if it is a hardware problem, go through your Assistant Stake Clerk -- Technology (STS) who will work with the stake PFR and the FM group to repair or replace the hardware.
In this case ktchugg is the STS (he happens to to in my stake).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bfromm wrote:It sounds like the sticker on the machine is for Windows XP.
I have machines coming due for replacement at the end of this year that have Vista stickers, but came loaded with XP. If ktchugg's machine has a XP sticker, I'll be surprised.

ktchugg, Just for kicks, look for the manufactured date on that machine. Perhaps it's one that FM had sitting in stock for while. Maybe replacement can come a little sooner. It's worth checking.

bfromm

Post by bfromm »

russellhltn wrote:I have machines coming due for replacement at the end of this year that have Vista stickers, but came loaded with XP. If ktchugg's machine has a XP sticker, I'll be surprised.
Good point. I should clarify my statement slightly. When we buy computers, they include a sticker for the latest OS, but we are able to purchase them with downgrade rights to the OS we want to use. In the situation you described, Dell was required to put the Vista sticker on the box, but our custom SKU included rights to pre-load the machine with XP. So if a machine has an XP or Vista sticker, we would send out an XP image.

Return to “Clerk Computers”