Modem freezes computer

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
craiggsmith

Modem freezes computer

Post by craiggsmith »

We lost our internet services this weekend in one of our buildings to I set up our computers with modems. I used a USB modem on the two newer ones and it worked fine. The third (older) one had a built-in modem, but every time I tried to send it froze the computer completely and I had to shut down with the power button (which I know is not good for MLS). It usually froze right before or right after connecting.

So I disabled the built-in modem and installed the USB modem but it did the same thing, so it's not the modem or modem drivers. I killed some of the unnecessary processes that were running in the background but that didn't help either.

Any ideas on what could cause this? I guess I should have tried safe mode.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Modem freezes computer

Post by Mikerowaved »

It's kind of long, but I think the MLS Freezes During Sync thread will have the answers you're looking for.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks very much, sorry I didn't see that thread. I always search on root words; I didn't realize that in this forum searching on "freeze" doesn't also return threads with "freezes".

Not sure I followed everything correctly, but it sounds like the firewall is the primary culprit. Strange, I didn't think a firewall would have anything to do with modem communication. At this point I'll probably just let them wait until the internet is back up, which should be sometime tomorrow.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

craiggsmith wrote:Strange, I didn't think a firewall would have anything to do with modem communication.
The OP in that thread never resolved his issue, or at least he never posted he did. There was another poster who chimed in half way through the thread with the same problem that found resolution by disabling the firewall. So it is fifty-fifty on that one.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I had this problem also this past Sunday. When I rebooted the computer and logged back in to MLS it show I had an urgent task to do. the task was basically a send and receive. Our STS had me look at the system options for MLS and see how it was set to send/receive it was set at auto so he had me change it to internet and all went well on the next send and receive.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:I had this problem also this past Sunday. When I rebooted the computer and logged back in to MLS it show I had an urgent task to do. the task was basically a send and receive. Our STS had me look at the system options for MLS and see how it was set to send/receive it was set at auto so he had me change it to internet and all went well on the next send and receive.
Which is all well and good for those who have an Internet connection. But this seems to confirm my belief that many computers who currently have a Internet connection can no longer do dial-up Send/Receive.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:Which is all well and good for those who have an Internet connection. But this seems to confirm my belief that many computers who currently have a Internet connection can no longer do dial-up Send/Receive.
This could be true as I had no problems until Sunday around 11 am, and have never heard the dial-up kick-in before. I had already done several send and receives as well as backups since 7 am with no problems. Then all of a sudden the program shifted to dial up. When I had to reboot and received the urgent message to which was to transmit data due to the freeze up the program transmitted via internet.

The best I can tell was there was something within the program that told it to go dial-up instead of internet. I checked to see if the internet was up using my tablet and had no problems connecting so I know we had internet in the building. The STS I talked to thought all the computers in the stake was set for internet only, yet our wards was set for auto which surprised him. I know no one in the ward changed the settings because no one else is savvy enough to do so and even I had to be guided to where the settings were at.

Could it be that CHQ was able to change the setting?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:Could it be that CHQ was able to change the setting?
I think they are able, or the setting could have been changed during a software update.

When we first started using high-speed Internet access, we switched our computers to auto-detect. None of them would connect using the Internet, so we switched them all to Internet. They all worked.

Over the years, however, they have all moved back to auto-detect, through no effort on our part. We have reset several to Internet, which lasts a while, but then changes without our input.

So yes, either CHQ is able to change the setting or it happens during software updates. Either way, the effect is the same.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”