Map/Directions broken

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
carlsond

Map/Directions broken

Post by carlsond »

Has anyone else noticed that if you try to get directions to a members house from LDS Tools by clicking on the address under member information, and then clicking on the pin on the map, which will bring up a link to send the information to the IOS maps program, but it does not properly transfer the address information and therefore you can not get directions without manually typing out the address?

Thanks,

-Dan

BTW...I currently have IOS 6.1.2 and LDS Tools 2.1.2
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Map/Directions broken

Post by aebrown »

I can't speak about the IOS version of LDS Tools, but this works fine on the Android version of LDS Tools.

One point I wonder about. It seems clear to me that when I click on an address for a person whose household location has been verified by the ward clerk using the LDS.org Maps tool, the Maps application on my mobile device is using the precise lat/lon for that verified location. But when I choose a household whose location has not been verified, it uses the street address. Both work on my device, but I wonder if that distinction might be important on your device. Have you tried both verified and unverified households?
carlsond

Post by carlsond »

Yes, I have tried both and they have the same result. It really just looks like the address information that is supposed to be passed to the IOS maps program is either not happening or not being passed correctly.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:when I click on an address for a person whose household location has been verified by the ward clerk using the LDS.org Maps tool, the Maps application on my mobile device is using the precise lat/lon for that verified location.
And even when accurate, it can still lead to bad directions. When using lat/lon, the Map app will find the closest street and direct you to that point - but there may be no access from that direction. I ran into that on the first maps.lds.org site. I was on vacation and it wanted me to park a street over and jump over a neighbor's fence to get to church. Had the pin been closer to the church driveway and not the FM group's storage shed, I would have gotten correct directions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JimRedd

Post by JimRedd »

Another possible cause of this problem could be the switch by Apple from Google maps to their own maps. I know that directions used to work before our mission when Google maps were being used by apple.

I notice that when I open a member home location in the maps app, it has a red pin and I cannot get directions to the pin. If I drop a pin in the maps app, it is a purple pin and I can get directions to it.

Apple's website says that red pins are destinations, but directions to the red pin dropped by LDS Tools iOS doesn't have the direction options when I click on the pin information. See the info copied from the Apple Developer website
MKPinAnnotationColor
The supported colors for pin annotations.

enum {
MKPinAnnotationColorRed = 0,
MKPinAnnotationColorGreen,
MKPinAnnotationColorPurple
};
typedef NSUInteger MKPinAnnotationColor;
Constants
MKPinAnnotationColorRed
The head of the pin is red. Red pins indicate destination points on the map.
Available in iOS 3.0 and later.
Declared in MKPinAnnotationView.h.
MKPinAnnotationColorGreen
The head of the pin is green. Green pins indicate starting points on the map.
MKPinAnnotationColorPurple
The head of the pin is purple. Purple pins indicate user-specified points on the map.
Next

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”