Java 64bit vs 32bit

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
ulupoi

Java 64bit vs 32bit

Post by ulupoi »

Hello, all.

We've got new computers coming.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that I should install the 32bit version of Java, regardless of whether the machine runs 32bit or 64bit Windows, because the commonly used Internet browsers are still 32bit.

Does MLS rely on 32bit Java? Is there a 64bit version of MLS?

Is there any real advantage to be gained by installing the 64bit version of Java in addition to the 32bit version? Might installing both cause some kind of problem?

Thank you!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Java 64bit vs 32bit

Post by lajackson »

ulupoi wrote:Does MLS rely on 32bit Java? Is there a 64bit version of MLS?
I cannot answer your general question, but MLS uses its own Java installation that comes with the download and does not depend on the version of Java loaded on the computer.

There is only one version of MLS, and I doubt it is a 64 bit version. [grin]
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ulupoi wrote:Does MLS rely on 32bit Java? Is there a 64bit version of MLS?
The first answer is yes. The second is no. MLS is currently a 32 bit application that runs on both 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7. The JRE (Java Runtime Environment) for MLS is separate from the system version. Therefore, do not be concerned about the system version(s) you may have installed, or may install, on Windows 7 in regards to MLS.
ulupoi wrote:Is there any real advantage to be gained by installing the 64bit version of Java in addition to the 32bit version?
64-bit Windows 7 operating systems come with a 32-bit Internet Explorer browser as the standard (default) for viewing web pages. It also includes a 64-bit Internet Explorer browser. However, using it is optional and it must be explicitly selected to view web pages. Note that because some web content may not work properly in a 64-bit browser, the Java people recommend using the default 32-bit browser and downloading 32-bit Java.
ulupoi wrote:Might installing both cause some kind of problem?
No, it is absolutely no problem. You can even have multiple versions of both 32bit and 64bit Java installed at the same time on the same machine.

Note that if you install a 64 bit version, at this time, Online Installation and Java update features are not available for 64-bit architectures. This means that you will not see an Update tab as part of the Java Control Panel. You can manually update Java on 64-bit Windows by running the latest Java 64-bit offline installer.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As stated, you do not need to install Java for MLS to work. It takes care if it's own needs.

Unless there is some other need, I wouldn't install Java at all. It has a number of security issues and is another source of never-ending updates that have to be applied. So unless it's needed, you are better off not installing it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:Unless there is some other need, I wouldn't install Java at all. It has a number of security issues and is another source of never-ending updates that have to be applied. So unless it's needed, you are better off not installing it.
I completely agree with this for Church administrative computers. I do not know of any standard applications listed for administrative computers, other than MLS with its own JRE, that use Java. That leaves only some websites when using the browser.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Didn't Open Office require you to install java at some point?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:Didn't Open Office require you to install java at some point?
Both OpenOffice and LibraOffice use JRE, but only for certain things. Their database program requires it, as do some of the wizards, but for the types of mainstream activities most often used by clerks it's probably not required.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aclawson wrote:Didn't Open Office require you to install java at some point?
Java is required for complete OpenOffice functionality. Java is mainly required for the HSQLDB database engine (used by Base) and to make use of accessibility and assistive technologies. So if Base is not going to be used and the accessibility technologies are not needed then neither is Java.
JD Lessley

Return to “Clerk Computers”