Android Gospel Library Web Service

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
EricBowman

Android Gospel Library Web Service

Post by EricBowman »

I'm guessing that the Android gospel library app works over a web service like a SOAP service.

Is that correct?

If so, I would like to use that same service on my own app, what's the connection string?

thanks!

Eric
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Android Gospel Library Web Service

Post by aebrown »

Before you ask for the "connection string," please read the article Third-party API for gospel content.
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

Your quotes lead me to believe you have made negative assumptions about my intentions. I can assure you that I have the best of intentions: To make it as easy as I can to make as many people as possible read their scriptures.

Your link is very helpful even if your tone made me feel condescended. So thank you. I will apply for API access.

Eric
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

EricBowman wrote:Your quotes lead me to believe you have made negative assumptions about my intentions. I can assure you that I have the best of intentions: To make it as easy as I can to make as many people as possible read their scriptures.

Your link is very helpful even if your tone made me feel condescended. So thank you. I will apply for API access.
I intended no negative assumptions or condescension. I was simply supplying information, and the quotes were used only to indicate that I was quoting someone else's words (yours).

I am grateful for all the energy that so many volunteers are willing to devote to helping provide applications that will help others in their gospel study or other laudable purposes. I just am trying to make sure that these volunteers understand what official Church sources have said on these topics so that their time will be devoted to efforts that will bear fruit.
EricBowman

Post by EricBowman »

I'm sorry I misinterpreted your quotes. For future reference you may want to read Usage of Quotation Marks. Putting a single word or phrase in quotations marks implies cynicism or sarcasm.

I've noticed that there are many volunteers who talk about a windows apps for a week or two and then disappear. I'm sure you get tired of explaining the same policies repeatedly.

I can't promise that I'll be around much longer than average (It's the volunteer way to come and go) but I can promise that my idea for an app is very very simple.

I would like to make an alarm app that at a set time displays your choice of either a random or sequential word, verse, page, or chapter from your selection of the standard works.

I will put my code into a code repository so that the next volunteer can pick up my code and move forward with it if they would like. I will also try to architect my application so that someone else can easily re-use my work if they would like.
Last edited by aebrown on Wed May 29, 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix URL tag

Return to “Android Gospel Library”