Recording Death Information -- Record Not in Unit

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kimleypike

Recording Death Information -- Record Not in Unit

Post by kimleypike »

I have been searching an answer for the following question for a long time.... I'm hopeful this thread may offer the help....

[Moderator Note: This question has been moved from the old topic, since the subject is different.]

A member in our ward asked I assist to process her deceased sister's (baptized member)Temple ordinances. She died a few years ago and our local member was her next of kin. I attempted to process but as her death details are clearly not showing on her membership record the record is not available on FamilySearch.org.

Can someone please tell me who the 'full time missionaries/workers' are in the church who are actively seeking out these lost members? I'm sure they would like to hear from someone who may be able to help! I add the deceased member had been inactive a number of years and moved areas several times.

I asked FamilySearch Support for help but the response was unsuccessful.
mfmohlma

Re: Recording Death Information -- Record Not in Unit

Post by mfmohlma »

kimleypike wrote:She died a few years ago and our local member was her next of kin. I attempted to process but as her death details are clearly not showing on her membership record the record is not available on FamilySearch.org.
Your ward's clerk can update this record with proper documentation. I (as a clerk) have accomplished this before on a record that wasn't even in our ward by sending a URL of the person's online obituary to the MLS email address. The record was updated within a day or two.
kimleypike

Post by kimleypike »

Many thanks for your quick response. Wish I'd found this website earlier!
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I had a problem like this last year. Sister in our ward was trying to get her deceased fathers information in Family search come to find out her fathers death was never recorded on the record and the record was in the unknown file.
I did was request the record into our ward and using the information provided by the Sister did what was needed to record the death. A couple of days latter all the information was in the family search files.
spencerwbingham

Post by spencerwbingham »

I had to change marriage information to people that married out of the church. Go to section that says change marriage information and reason. Death of spouse. If they have active family members they will help in processing temple work too.

Return to “Membership Help”