How to correctly delete another event

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rfrisch1

How to correctly delete another event

Post by rfrisch1 »

I am the Stake Building Coordinator. I can set up stake activities. I can not schedule ward activities. I have been asked to schedule a wedding on the same night there is a pack meeting set up. The wedding has priority over the pack meeting, but I can not schedule the wedding event because the pack meeting is already there. What is the proper action for me to take? Do I need to call the primary president in the ward that scheduled the pack meeting and ask her to take the event off of the calendar, so I can then schedule the wedding? I don't believe the Cub Scout Master has the rights to add and take events off of the calendar. I have called the Primary president, but she has not called me back. If she does not call me back, is there anything else I can do to change the calendar? Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: How to correctly delete another event

Post by aebrown »

rfrisch1 wrote:I am the Stake Building Coordinator.
That sounds like a local title -- it doesn't correspond to any actual role in the Calendar system. What specific roles do you have in the Calendar system? In particular, are you:
  • A building scheduler (meaning that you have been designated by a stake calendar administrator in the Calendar as a Building Scheduler for the location in question)
  • A stake calendar administrator
  • A stake calendar editor for one or more stake calendars
  • Some combination of the above
rfrisch1 wrote:I can set up stake activities. I can not schedule ward activities.
When you say "set up" I assume you mean that you can create events on one or more stake calendars.
rfrisch1 wrote:I have been asked to schedule a wedding on the same night there is a pack meeting set up. The wedding has priority over the pack meeting, but I can not schedule the wedding event because the pack meeting is already there.
The wedding may have priority, but as long as the pack meeting event is there, it has booked the location/rooms for that date and time, and so you can't create the wedding event until something has been done with the pack meeting.
rfrisch1 wrote:What is the proper action for me to take? Do I need to call the primary president in the ward that scheduled the pack meeting and ask her to take the event off of the calendar, so I can then schedule the wedding?
You certainly need to make sure that the Primary president knows that her pack meeting event is getting preempted. I hope she has plenty of time to make other arrangements.

Someone needs to delete the event; you could ask her to do that, or (depending on your roles) you could do it yourself.
rfrisch1 wrote:I have called the Primary president, but she has not called me back. If she does not call me back, is there anything else I can do to change the calendar?
If you are a building scheduler, then you do have the power to delete the event (or to change it to no longer use the location/rooms that are being overridden). Of course, that's a drastic step, and you'd need to make sure that the Primary president is aware of what you are doing. But it can be done.

If you are not a building scheduler, then there's nothing you can do to delete or adjust that conflicting ward event. That can only be done by a building scheduler, or a ward calendar administrator, or a ward calendar editor with editing rights for the calendar containing the event. If you can't reach the Primary president, you could try to reach that ward's clerk or executive secretary or a bishopric member, all of whom are default calendar administrators and thus would have the ability to delete the event.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rfrisch1 wrote:What is the proper action for me to take?
Contact the building scheduler for the location. A building scheduler can edit any event scheduled to occur at their location. If you do not know who the building scheduler is you can find the building scheduler by clicking the black down arrow to the right of the location name in the "Locations" box and then clicking "Contact building scheduler". You can find out who scheduled the event by opening the details page for the event. The last person to edit the event will be listed on the lower right side of the event details screen.
aebrown wrote:Someone needs to delete the event...
... or move the event to another location or another date/time.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rfrisch1 wrote:The wedding has priority over the pack meeting,
That strikes me as unusual. I thought church had priority over private functions, but I can't find that policy.

In either case, I'd make sure you are on solid ground with your stake's policy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote:I thought church had priority over private functions, but I can't find that policy.
While it does not set a priority per se, you may have been thinking about the first sentence of the first paragraph of Handbook 2, 21.2 which states, "Church buildings and other property are to be used for worship, religious instruction, and other Church-related activities."

A wedding for a member could be considered a Church-related activity. However, that interpretation is up to the stake president. Personally I would think activities such as youth mutual and primary activities would have higher priority, especially if they have been scheduled before the wedding. I have been in several stakes where the policy was that a wedding took a lower non-interference priority to other Church-related activities.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I thought church had priority over private functions, but I can't find that policy.
While it does not set a priority per se, you may have been thinking about the first sentence of the first paragraph of Handbook 2, 21.2 which states, "Church buildings and other property are to be used for worship, religious instruction, and other Church-related activities."
No, I don't think that's it. That paragraph covers the allowable/not allowable use of a building. I was looking for something that said the building could be used for private events. I'm not finding that. At least not in Handbook 2 nor the FM Guideline.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:I was looking for something that said the building could be used for private events. I'm not finding that. At least not in Handbook 2 nor the FM Guideline.
Actually, the Facilities Management Guidelines do directly address this issue.

On page 3, the last section is titled "Receptions and social gatherings" and it says:

"Receptions and small social gatherings for Church members or their families may be held in Church meetinghouses if they do not interrupt regularly scheduled Church activities."

That sentence makes it clear that buildings can be used for private events, and the "if they do not interrupt" clause makes it clear what the priority is to be.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:
russellhltn wrote:I was looking for something that said the building could be used for private events. I'm not finding that. At least not in Handbook 2 nor the FM Guideline.
Actually, the Facilities Management Guidelines do directly address this issue.

On page 3, the last section is titled "Receptions and social gatherings" and it says:

"Receptions and small social gatherings for Church members or their families may be held in Church meetinghouses if they do not interrupt regularly scheduled Church activities."

That sentence makes it clear that buildings can be used for private events, and the "if they do not interrupt" clause makes it clear what the priority is to be.
Handbook 1:3.5.5 says almost exactly the same thing, that a wedding reception may be held in a Church building if it does not disrupt the schedule of regular Church functions.

Those are the receptions, not the weddings themselves. I suppose the bishop may have a compelling reason to hold the wedding and bump the pack meeting.

However, I would wish to be neither the bishop nor the Primary President or Cubmaster in such an instance. I would be happy to merely be the person trying to update the online calendar.

And just as in real life, as has been pointed out, the online pack meeting will have to be moved before the online wedding can be scheduled on the online calendar.

Return to “Calendar”