Unsubscribe message at end of email

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
coletheelder

Unsubscribe message at end of email

Post by coletheelder »

The Ward Executive Secretary sent an email to all adults today. I was a recipient of the message. At the end of the message, this statement appeared:
To un-subscribe from future email messages from ward or stake members follow https://lds.org/directory click on "My Family" then click on "Edit Profile" and remove your email address from your profile. If you are not a head of household you may ask your parent/guardian to edit your profile or you may also contact your ward clerk and ask him to remove your email address from MLS.
This statement works contrary to Step 4 of the Church's "Stake and Ward Emergency Planning Guide" as found in Provident Living: https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/c ... f?lang=eng.

That Planning Guide encourages the availability of email addresses in the event of emergencies. The lds.org Directory "Help for Ward members" describes Profile options that are available. The "Unsubscribe" statement at the end of email messages discourages the availability of email addresses for emergency planning purposes. I suggest that it is unnecessary to add "fuel to the fire" by including the "Unsubscribe" statement at the end of email messages.

Robert W Collester Jr
Ewa Beach 2nd Ward Emergency Response Coordinator
Waipahu Hawaii Stake
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Unsubscribe message at end of email

Post by lajackson »

coletheelder wrote:I suggest that it is unnecessary to add "fuel to the fire" by including the "Unsubscribe" statement at the end of email messages.
While I personally share your feelings, I believe the unsubscribe statement is required by Federal U.S. law.
coletheelder

Post by coletheelder »

Please be more specific in your reply: you "believe the unsubscribe statement is required by Federal U.S. law"; or, is the wording of the statement actually required by Federal U.S. law?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

While I'm not sure as the CAN-SPAM Act applies to the church, keep in mind that the church does need to make its systems compliant with all local laws in all areas.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

coletheelder wrote:Please be more specific in your reply: you "believe the unsubscribe statement is required by Federal U.S. law"; or, is the wording of the statement actually required by Federal U.S. law?
Please understand we are not lawyers and try to refrain from offering legal advice in the forum. With that said, the wording in the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 defines spam (or commercial messages) as “any electronic mail message the primary purpose of which is the commercial advertisement or promotion of a commercial product or service...” Unless someone is severely abusing the system, I don't see how the church's email offerings would fall into that category.

I occasionally do some bulk emailings for another non-profit group, and while not specifically required, I always provide a clear way of opting out of future messages as a courtesy to the recipient. I can't take responsibility for them missing important announcements if they choose this option, but I always respect their wishes.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
coletheelder

Post by coletheelder »

I now appreciate the fact that a Federal code necessitates the need for an "opt-out" for emails of a commercial nature. Thank you for clarifying this issue.

However, the Church's current "opt-out" statement is quite lengthy and is "over-kill", in my opinion. There is a statement at the end of your reply that provides an example of a simple, alternative approach:
"So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location."

A similarly-worded statement could simply point member-users to their own lds.org profile if they wished to "opt-out" of Ward-related email messages, without a lengthy explanation of the subject as currently exists.

Respectfully,
Brother Robert W Collester Jr

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”