Records in the right ward, directory is wrong

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
delhughes62

Records in the right ward, directory is wrong

Post by delhughes62 »

I have checked with my Membership clerk, and my records are indeed in the correct ward. However, somehow my directory listing is associated with a different ward. In another state. I did open an lds.org account for/with my son, and his address is in this other ward, and now all our directory listings are with this other ward. I have made a record move for his name with my local Membership clerk, but I need to have my household in my ward!

How it happened may be interesting, but how I get it fixed is what I want to know.

Del Hughes
Paradise, CA
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Records in the right ward, directory is wrong

Post by russellhltn »

delhughes62 wrote:somehow my directory listing is associated with a different ward.
Are you saying that when you log into your account you're taken to the wrong ward, or that your name is listed in the directory of the wrong ward?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
delhughes62

Post by delhughes62 »

I am saying that when I log into my lds.org account, and open the directory (either online or through the lds tools app on my nook) I am listed in the Holladay 1st Ward in Salt Lake City, UT. When someone else in my home ward in Paradise, CA, does the same thing, logged in as themselves, I am listed in the Paradise ward, as should be.

Somehow my lds.org account has been linked to my son's address. I am the head of household. He is listed under my record.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

delhughes62 wrote:I did open an lds.org account for/with my son...
Have you logged onto your LDS Account profile and confirmed the information there is yours and not your son's. If you used your son's MRN by mistake when you created your LDS Account then the birth date there should be your son's birth date since it is pulled from the membership record and not input by the user.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

delhughes62 wrote:I am saying that when I log into my lds.org account, and open the directory (either online or through the lds tools app on my nook) I am listed in the Holladay 1st Ward in Salt Lake City, UT. When someone else in my home ward in Paradise, CA, does the same thing, logged in as themselves, I am listed in the Paradise ward, as should be.
So you are saying:
  • That when you log in, you see your son's ward
  • That you are listed in the directories of both wards
I could see that happening if the Holladay ward created an out-of-unit record for you in their ward. That's the only way I know of that one person could be listed in two locations except for possibility a short time while the membership record is in transit. But that seems unlikely the Holladay ward would have created such a thing.

Does your son have a similar name such that the two of you could be confused? If so, then that may be the source of some confusion and cause some facts of the problem to be mis-stated.

I'd suggest your son work with the Holladay ward's clerk to see if they can resolve the problem and have the correct record in their ward.

I'd also follow jdlessley's advice to make sure the ldsaccount you are using is associated with the right person. It might be worth asking your son to log into his account and see what happens when he does so.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:I could see that happening if the Holladay ward created an out-of-unit record for you in their ward. That's the only way I know of that one person could be listed in two locations except for possibility a short time while the membership record is in transit. But that seems unlikely the Holladay ward would have created such a thing.
Just creating an out-of-unit record won't cause the person to show up in the online directory. They must also be given a standard calling. And if that is the case then they should have access to both wards in the directory which doesn't seem to be the case.
russellhltn wrote:Does your son have a similar name such that the two of you could be confused? If so, then that may be the source of some confusion and cause some facts of the problem to be mis-stated.

I'd suggest your son work with the Holladay ward's clerk to see if they can resolve the problem and have the correct record in their ward.
Another (unlikely) possibility is a duplicate membership record. You'd want to check with both your son's clerk and your clerk to make sure they don't both have a record for you. That's very unlikely but could explain what you've described.
russellhltn wrote:I'd also follow jdlessley's advice to make sure the ldsaccount you are using is associated with the right person.
I'd second that but I'd also suggest asking your clerk to give you the membership number on the record he has and make sure it matches what's recorded on your LDS Account. To check your LDS Account profile go to https://ldsaccount.lds.org and log in. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there is a way to directly verify your membership number there. You may have to contact the LDS Account support team (at https://ldsaccount.lds.org/sign-in/go/contact.jsf) and ask them to verify it.
delhughes62

Post by delhughes62 »

I do appreciate the conversation. My membership clerk called tonight and said that when he moved my son's individual record (an action I witnessed, and have performed myself many times in the past as the Ward Clerk), the MLS message that confirmed the action actually confirmed the moving of my entire family to my son's new ward. So we are physically in northern California, and the Holladay 1st Ward is expecting new members next Sunday!

Onward and upward. Meeting with the local membership clerk tomorrow morning.

I am certain that I am logging on as myself, and not as my son.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

delhughes62 wrote:My membership clerk called tonight and said that when he moved my son's individual record (an action I witnessed, and have performed myself many times in the past as the Ward Clerk), the MLS message that confirmed the action actually confirmed the moving of my entire family to my son's new ward.
Can't say that's never happened. Just the minor difference between the menu options "Move Individual Records Out" and "Move Household Records Out". Looks like the clerk chose the wrong one.

Sometimes to be extra paranoid (and to avoid problems like this), I will remove the individual from the household first, then do the move.
delhughes62

Post by delhughes62 »

I haven't seen the clerk again, I will this Sunday. I actually stopped the clerk before he submitted the change and pointed out that he needed to select "Move Individual Records Out." The gospel is true, even if the software isn't! I just think it's funny that this all started with the creation of a new account, with nothing to do with MLS. That's kinda where this discussion has gone, and I've both taken and followed it there.

To re-focus: I was sent here by the help page at lds.org because my directory listing (a full two weeks before the MLS move) showed me in the wrong ward while my MLS listing showed me in the right ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

delhughes62 wrote:To re-focus: I was sent here by the help page at lds.org because my directory listing (a full two weeks before the MLS move) showed me in the wrong ward while my MLS listing showed me in the right ward.
Hmmmm, that's odd. Some possibilities:
  • Your account is associated with the wrong record.
  • MLS is out of sync with church headquarters.
  • MLS has a temporary record with your name on it.
  • Someone is mis-reading a MLS print-out (your name is on someone else's record).
  • Duplicate membership record.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”