Household view doesn't match member's record

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
emwoolley

Household view doesn't match member's record

Post by emwoolley »

A member's record online has the first character of the last name in the Household view incorrect. It is "L" and should be "C". The name is correct in MLS and in the individual name online, but the online household directory has the member listed under "L". How can this be fixed?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Household view doesn't match member's record

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: I split this out from the topic member data inconsistent, since it deals with a different issue.]

This sounds like a problem with the Household record in MLS. To check that in MLS, go to Membership > Household Records and find the household. Make sure you're looking at the household record, and not the individual membership record.
emwoolley

Post by emwoolley »

I've done that. The information is correct on MLS in both individual and household names. It appears that something happened with this one household name was uploaded so that the first letter in the household name was incorrectly changed from a "C" to an "L". How can this be fixed?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just to make sure: There are three names in MLS: Household name, Individual Name and Preferred name. Have you checked all of them?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
emwoolley

Post by emwoolley »

Yes, I have checked all three. The only place it is incorrect is on the web.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

How do they look in Clerk Resources? You can check on the individuals page and also on the IOS from there.
emwoolley

Post by emwoolley »

Ok. Here is a summary of everything.
1. Under "Manage Photos" there are two entries: one under "Cama..." and one under "Lama...". One is for "Household" and one for "Individual."
2. On MLS there is only one person: "Cama..." as an individual, household head, or anything else. The person is single, female, and age 27. She is the head of and only member of her household.
3. Under "Photos" the person is listed alphabetical in order as if her name were "Cama..." but the name under the photo is "Lama..."
4. Under "Clerks Resources" she is listed as "Cama..." in every category ("Members", "Organizations - RS", "Members with Callings")
5. Under "Tools - Directory" - where leaders and others look for her information - she is listed under "Lama..." and not under "Cama..." - which is more than annoying!
6. The IOS and member records on MLS only show "Cama..." and never "Lama" in any string anywhere.

Bottom line: The name should be only listed as "Cama..." - anywhere. I am convinced there was a glitch when this one record was placed on the web. How can it be fixed? I really don't want to see "for curiosity" where else it might be wrong - but it is wrong where it matters perhaps the most. We need it corrected. Whom should I contact to do that?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

emwoolley wrote:Whom should I contact to do that?
I'd suggest Local Unit Support.

The only other thing I can suggest is to change her name. Once that's been processed, changed it back to what it should be.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

emwoolley wrote:2. On MLS there is only one person: "Cama..." as an individual, household head, or anything else. The person is single, female, and age 27. She is the head of and only member of her household.
You were so careful to list every detail, except you didn't mention the one place I mentioned at the beginning -- the name of the household. That leaves me wondering if that still might be the issue. I apologize if you really did check this, but please look at this screen shot:
household.png
(26.52 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
The household name is circled in Green. For this example, it is SMITH. Note that it is not the name of any person in the household -- they are all named ANDREWS. But such a person will be listed under S in the Directory because of the Household name.

To find this in MLS, go to Membership Records, and then in the View and Update section, click Household Record. To edit the household name, click the Edit link (at the far right, circled in Orange).

But even if you have checked this and the household name appears to be correct in MLS, I think there's merit in RusselHltn's suggestion to change the name. But make sure you change the Household Name -- there's no point in changing the individual name, since that is correct everywhere. Change it to something unusual (e.g., "Gama..."), then do a Send/Receive, then change it to the correct name ("Cama...") and do a Send/Receive. That should have a high probability of fixing it.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

emwoolley wrote:Ok. Here is a summary of everything.
1. Under "Manage Photos" there are two entries: one under "Cama..." and one under "Lama...". One is for "Household" and one for "Individual."
2. On MLS there is only one person: "Cama..." as an individual, household head, or anything else. The person is single, female, and age 27. She is the head of and only member of her household.
Are you absolutely sure the Household name is correct in MLS? It doesn't actually show up much in MLS so it's easy to miss that it's wrong.

Have you done this?
  • Select Membership and then Household Record from the menu in MLS.
  • Look up the individual by their correct last name.
  • Look at the name at the very top of the record where it says Household Name.
  • If it's wrong you can use the edit link on the right side of the header to change it.
Just looking at the name in the lookup list for households in MLS won't tell you if it's wrong and looking at the Head of Household on the membership record or IOS won't tell you either.
emwoolley wrote:Bottom line: The name should be only listed as "Cama..." - anywhere. I am convinced there was a glitch when this one record was placed on the web.
Information for the Directory comes directly from the membership record in the main church database. There isn't a separate copy for the web. But if the something in the record isn't getting synced to MLS correctly then russellhltn's suggestion to change the name and change it back might get it back in sync.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”