Can a priest assist with a setting apart

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
mead170375

Can a priest assist with a setting apart

Post by mead170375 »

I used a priest this past Sunday to assist me with a setting apart (YW secretary). I have seen priests help out with settings aparts before, however I received a call from the 2nd councillor on our stk pres questioning if I was right to do such. Can anyone clarify the doctrine please?

D&C 20:58 says deacons and teacher do not have FHE authority to lay on hands, which would suggest priests do.

Anyways, I'm confused..... :)
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Can a priest assist with a setting apart

Post by jdlessley »

From Handbook 2, 8.1.1, a priest, "[w]hen authorized by the bishop, ... performs baptisms, confers the Aaronic Priesthood, and ordains deacons, teachers, and priests (see D&C 20:46, 48)." The priest's priesthood authority is limited to confering to the Aaronic Priesthood and ordaining to the offices described in D&C 48.. Setting apart the Young Women Secretary falls under the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:Setting apart the Young Women Secretary falls under the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.
Handbook 2:20.1.1 says that only brethren who hold the necessary priesthood to perform an ordinance or blessing may stand in the circle, and 20.1.2 says that only a Melchizedek Priesthood holder may set apart a person to serve in a Church calling.

Therefore, as jdlessley has pointed out, only those who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood should stand in the circle for a setting apart. (Note also 20.7.1 where, when a high priest is ordained or when a man is set apart to an office that requires him to be a high priest, only high priests stand in the circle.)

A priest (with authorization) may ordain a deacon, teacher, or priest, and may therefore stand in the circle during one of those Aaronic Priesthood ordinations.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

mead170375 wrote:D&C 20:58 says deacons and teacher do not have FHE authority to lay on hands, which would suggest priests do.
It doesn't suggest that. In fact, verses 46-52, which outline the priest's responsibilities, do not include any reference to laying on hands. The reference to laying on of hands may have come because that portion of the revelation (from 38-67) also deals with apostles and elders, who do lay on hands. As others have said, priests can ordain deacons, teachers, and other priests. But they don't have anything to do with administrating the church, and calling and setting people apart is unquestionable an administrative activity.
allenmckeehan

New Question:

Post by allenmckeehan »

When performing a baby's blessing, does the spokesman hold the baby with both hands while every other priesthood holder lays their right hand on the bottom of the baby and their left hand on the right shoulder? Wouldn't this not complete the circle?
Allen
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Re: New Question:

Post by rmrichesjr »

allenmckeehan wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:57 am When performing a baby's blessing, does the spokesman hold the baby with both hands while every other priesthood holder lays their right hand on the bottom of the baby and their left hand on the right shoulder? Wouldn't this not complete the circle?
Allen
The instructions for performing a blessing of a baby or child are in section 18.6.2 of the Handbook: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... le_number8

I don't see any instruction as to specifics other than at the beginning where it states that the bishopric directs the performance of the ordinance.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The fourth paragraph in 18.3 is more specific than 18.6.2. However, there isn't a strict requirement that a circle needs to be completed for this particular ordinance to be valid, since how the priesthood holders stand varies based on how many are participating. I see putting left hands on shoulders in this situation as a matter of practicality more than necessity.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I find this (completing the circle) somewhat analogous to the GHB language for performing a baptism. The GHB specifically states certain conditions such as holding the person's right wrist with your left hand, placing the right hand high on the person's back, etc. However, if this is not done exactly, the baptism could be considered valid, as long as the wording and immersion are properly performed (which are stated as the requirements for needing to perform the baptism again). Likewise, while the GHB instructions for ordinances need to always be followed, if there's a case where the circle wasn't completed, or if some people have both hands on the person while others in the circle are putting one hand on a shoulder, I (personally!) feel like the presiding officer has authority to decide if the ordinance is valid. Definitely not advocating for "doing things your own way", but just sharing where I feel the discretion could be applied by the priesthood leader, and agreeing that discretion is a tricky topic for any leader.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

The primary purpose of the forum is to provide a discussion area regarding technology in the Church and to provide support for specific callings. We try to allow some leeway for non-technical discussion, but occasionally a discussion reaches the point where the moderators determine it has run its course. This discussion has reached that point.

Members who have concerns about the proper procedure for performing an ordinance should refer to the General Handbook for instructions. When questions arise about the interpretation of those instructions, they should counsel with their local leaders to determine how to proceed. (See General Handbook, 0.4.)

Return to “General Discussions”