home sites in the wrong location

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jerrywiseman

home sites in the wrong location

Post by jerrywiseman »

Most of the home sites in my ward are in the wrong location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: search and scrolling list of members in maps

Post by jdlessley »

jerrywiseman wrote:Most of the home sites in my ward are in the wrong location.
Contact your ward clerk. He or another administrator moves/verifies household locations. If your household location is wrong see Household locations are wrong on the map for further information. If you are an administrator and need to correct household locations see Verify a household location for further information.

[Moderator note: This thread was split from the search and scrolling list of members in maps thread because the topics are different. Please follow the Code of Conduct and do not start a new topic in an existing thread; instead start a new thread.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
smanci

Re: home sites in the wrong location

Post by smanci »

I am a Stake Clerk in the Tampa Florida area. We have a member whose address is correct on lds maps, it shows the address as member verified, but the location of their home is in Tennessee where they moved from almost a year ago. Why is this? Their records have been in our stake since last July. Is it because they possibly member verified in TN? I found another one that shows their address as only Tampa, FL but their location is in Salt Lake City.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

smanci wrote:We have a member whose address is correct on lds maps, it shows the address as member verified, but the location of their home is in Tennessee where they moved from almost a year ago. Why is this? Their records have been in our stake since last July. Is it because they possibly member verified in TN?
Yes, that's correct. This issue is discussed at length in the topic Updating Address After Moving. You'll see there that the solution is for a clerk to move their household marker manually to the correct new location, or to change the address in Clerk Resources in LDS.org and then adjust the precise position as need.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The move for the household coincides with the time period when Maps was not correctly, for some situations, repositioning households following a move. The fix is to have the ward clerk, ward assistant clerk, or ward assistant clerk membership verify the household location.
smanci wrote:I found another one that shows their address as only Tampa, FL but their location is in Salt Lake City.
I do not know if Maps has been fixed to move a household to an incomplete address. I have noted in the past that when a household is moved out of a unit, but there is no complete address for the moved-to location, then the household location has not been moved. In this case the old address was in Salt Lake City and the household was moved out to an unknown address in Tampa FL. It is possible the household was moved to a unit without a complete address. Maps does not know where to put the household location marker and therefore leaves it at the last location.

If you do not have a complete address for the household you will have the same problem Maps has in positioning the household location marker. If you want the household location marker in the stake boundaries or even a unit boundary then have a maps administrator move the household location marker to an Approximate Location.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I will need to look into this issue. I just looked at my ward, and found several families on the map at their OLD address, even though the NEW address appears in the data box. So the records have been updated to reflect the new address, but the dot on the map is still at the old coordinates. Grrr.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”