Fresh MLS install need help!

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jaysten

Fresh MLS install need help!

Post by jaysten »

We are a remote branch in the caribbean and had to reinstall everything due to a hard drive failure. We have a backup to restore from, and I have reinstalled MLS. Now when I load MLS the only user available is "clerk" and no other users. Does anyone know the default password so I can get in a restore the branch's information? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Fresh MLS install need help!

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Did you install it or did someone else? With a username of "clerk" I wonder if someone got mixed up between the instructions for setting up Windows and MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Small branch in the Caribbean you say? I think this support request requires a personal visit for on-hand troubleshooting.
jaysten

Post by jaysten »

I saw the the Lost Username section but didn't think it would help since we dont have any 'units' folder or modified properties files, but we went ahead and were able to get ride of the "localclerk" login and restore from the backup! Thanks for the help.

Now we just need to have our ability to send/receive changes to the system from our area security whoever. Hopefully it gets fixed soon. Been months without MLS!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

A new install of MLS on a new computer requires the person installing MLS to enter a user name and password as an administrator. It does not matter what user name or password is entered when data will be restored from a backup. Once the installation is complete, but before the backup data is restored, there will be only one user, the administrator, and no unit data.

At first startup, before the backup data is restored, the user signs on using the [administrator] user name and password. There will be a single menu pane instead of the typical six menu panes. One of the options on that menu pane is to restore data from a backup. Selecting that option will restore not only unit data but all user profiles.

It is possible the "localclerk" user is the administrator user described above. Look for the option to install data from a backup file and install the backup. Once the backup is successfully restored, MLS will log the current [administrator] user off. At this point you should be able to log on using any of the user profiles previously available.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jaysten

Post by jaysten »

Unfortunately none of the previous users are still in the branch, so that option isn't available to us to help get us back on track for being able to transmit changes.

And yes, 'localclerk' is the name of the user/administrator for the computer so that was a confusing bit :D
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

jaysten wrote:Unfortunately none of the previous users are still in the branch, so that option isn't available to us to help get us back on track for being able to transmit changes.
Can you call them up and ask for their login credentials?
jaysten

Post by jaysten »

I'll see what the area representatives say in the next few days. I dont see any other users on the backup file, just the "admin" one they gave use to be able to create new users.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If MLS was installed according to Church procedure then the stake/district should have created an out of unit administrator user account. Ask the stake/district clerk if they created such a user account. If so, then they should be able to recover the backup using that user account and add at least one local branch user (clerk or branch president) as an administrator to the user accounts recovered from the backup. Once a local administrator has access then he can add/edit other user accounts.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”