Dell and no Modems

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
harddrive

Dell and no Modems

Post by harddrive »

My FM group just ordered up a set of new computers from Dell. However, they did not come with modems.

Does the FM group need to order those separately or has the church dropped the modem backups?

Thanks for letting me know.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Dell and no Modems

Post by lajackson »

harddrive wrote:My FM group just ordered up a set of new computers from Dell. However, they did not come with modems.

Does the FM group need to order those separately or has the church dropped the modem backups?
Our building without high speed Internet access would say the FM group forgot to order the modem.

In the interest of saving money, I can see where the modem may no longer be standard issue where buildings are on the net. That does remove the backup capability of connecting by phone when needed, although in another thread it appears there is a problem doing that anyway.

To answer your specific question, your PFR could easily quiz FM to see if they omitted the modem intentionally.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, if MLS isn't able to Send/Receive on a given Sunday, it's not the end of the world. But if the network is down ...... <grin>
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

It also saves the Church about 25,000 times the cost of a modem, over the course of a five-year computer replacement cycle.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

2 years ago I had 14 new computers from FMG to install, we did everything without a modem assuming that was the new standard... it was about 2-3 months later that a box of usb modems showed up in my office.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

Our new machines come with modems but they are USB devices that are hidden in the bottom of the box. If I wasn't looking for them it would be very easy to overlook them.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:Our new machines come with modems but they are USB devices that are hidden in the bottom of the box. If I wasn't looking for them it would be very easy to overlook them.
I can second that. They can be easily concealed by all the packing materials. After I found mine, I wondered how many may have been accidentally thrown away.

The comment I wanted to make was, unlike the old PCI modems, these USB modems only have ONE RJ-11 jack, making it a bit of a challenge to hook them up on the same line with a desk phone. My solution was to buy a handful of telephone splitters, like this one, which are typically $2-$3 at WalMart or your local hardware store. (Oh, and be sure to get the splitters that share all 4 wires among the 3 ports and not the ones used to breakout 2 phone lines from a 4-wire input. They look very similar from the outside.)
PhoneSplitter.jpg
PhoneSplitter.jpg (15.66 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

There is no need to keep them plugged in where you have a dedicated network connection. I just tasked the bag with the modem to the back of the computer. If they ever need it they can disconnect the phone for a few minutes
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

aclawson wrote:There is no need to keep them plugged in where you have a dedicated network connection. I just tasked the bag with the modem to the back of the computer. If they ever need it they can disconnect the phone for a few minutes
I seriously thought about that, but decided to go the splitter route. My main reasoning was when MLS is setup properly, it will automatically switch to the modem should the connection via network fail to go through. No fumbling with wires or additional training needed for anyone now or in the future that might initiate a S/R. It just works. (Albeit a little slower. :))
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:It just works.
In theory
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Clerk Computers”