updating member address online

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dmay

updating member address online

Post by dmay »

Does updating the membership record online move the member out of the unit if the address is out of the unit, or do we have to do that solely on MLS?
techgy
Community Moderators

Re: updating member address online

Post by techgy »

dmay wrote:Does updating the membership record online move the member out of the unit if the address is out of the unit, or do we have to do that solely on MLS?
Unless something new has been added recently, there's no method of changing an address for a member using the on-line system. Address changes must be done using the MLS system.
dmay

Post by dmay »

You can edit their address and when you do a Send/Receive on MLS it makes the change. That's why I want to see if thier address is outside of my ward boundries will transfer out. I guess that I could try one and see what it does.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

dmay wrote:You can edit their address and when you do a Send/Receive on MLS it makes the change. That's why I want to see if thier address is outside of my ward boundries will transfer out. I guess that I could try one and see what it does.
As I said, you cannot change a member's address using the on-line system. It must be done using the MLS system in the clerk's office. Changing an address for a member will move the record out if that address is out of your ward boundaries.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

techgy wrote:
dmay wrote:You can edit their address and when you do a Send/Receive on MLS it makes the change. That's why I want to see if thier address is outside of my ward boundries will transfer out. I guess that I could try one and see what it does.
As I said, you cannot change a member's address using the on-line system. It must be done using the MLS system in the clerk's office. Changing an address for a member will move the record out if that address is out of your ward boundaries.
Yes, you can change a member's address using the Leader or Clerk Resources site. This has been the case for several months now.

However, changing only the address will never move the record out of the ward even if the address is outside the ward boundaries. This is actually true both in the online system and in MLS as well.

To move a record out you still have to use the Move Household Records Out or Move Individual Record Out actions in MLS (although that capability is supposed to be coming to the Clerk Resources site but we don't know exactly when).
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

techgy wrote:As I said, you cannot change a member's address using the on-line system. It must be done using the MLS system in the clerk's office.
Sorry, this is incorrect. Addresses can be modified using the online leader tools.
techgy wrote:Changing an address for a member will move the record out if that address is out of your ward boundaries.
Also, not quite correct. Currently, the only way to move a record out is using MLS options "Move Individual Records" or "Move Household Records". These functions will be available in the online leader tools soon (they are in the beta).

So to answer the original question, no, simply changing the address will not move the records out of the ward.

EDIT: Looks like eblood66 beat me to it by 4 minutes. :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

techgy wrote:Unless something new has been added recently, there's no method of changing an address for a member using the on-line system. Address changes must be done using the MLS system.
That's true of the on-line directory. It will let you change email and phone number, but not addresses.

But the clerk page is more powerful.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

russellhltn wrote:
techgy wrote:Unless something new has been added recently, there's no method of changing an address for a member using the on-line system. Address changes must be done using the MLS system.
That's true of the on-line directory. It will let you change email and phone number, but not addresses.

Perhaps I'm missing something. The Clerk's page is more powerful, but I still didn't see a way of changing an Address except through the use of the MLS program. Am I missing something in the Clerk's Features?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

techgy wrote:
russellhltn wrote:

Perhaps I'm missing something. The Clerk's page is more powerful, but I still didn't see a way of changing an Address except through the use of the MLS program. Am I missing something in the Clerk's Features?
When you are looking at the member information page on the individual tab by contact information there is an edit button. That will let you edit all contact info including addresses.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

techgy wrote:Am I missing something in the Clerk's Features?
Perhaps you're missing the "Edit" link on the Member Information page?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (5.93 KiB) Viewed 1738 times

Return to “Membership Help”