Criteria based directory list for aux leaders

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
yetinate

Criteria based directory list for aux leaders

Post by yetinate »

As a ward mission leader it is frustrating to not be able to search the directory for new members, part members or age specific criteria. I need theis info but I get no calling-based privileges to help me do it. I know some of this info is sensitive, but if I hound the ward clerk he gets it for me anyway. Eveeentuuaaalllllyyyyy. It would make the secretarial portion of this job easier and let me get to the important stuff. I would think the HP group leader would like a list of widows? Or the YW leader would like a list of inactive girls? HELP! and thanks, Nate
Gary_Miller

Re: Criteria based directory list for aux leaders

Post by Gary_Miller »

Since you clerk is not very responsive, why don't you talk to the Bishop and see if he will allow you to have MLS user rights so you can print reports. You would also need a key to the building and the clerks office.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Everything that is done has to be approved by the Priesthood department. The developers have limited say in what kinds of features various calling are allowed. The best way to advocate for such a change is to have the stake president persuade the area authority that it's needed.

Needless to say, that's going to happen at a speed that makes your clerk seem downright fast.

I'd suggest you sit down with your clerk and see if he would be willing to run off the reports on a regular basis. That's probably better then trying to find time to get on the computer when everyone else is trying to on a busy Sunday.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

russellhltn wrote:I'd suggest you sit down with your clerk and see if he would be willing to run off the reports on a regular basis.
Perfect advice! If your clerk understands your needs, and is comfortable with MLS, it seems a simple request to ask for a report each Ward Council for you, as suggested. I also think you'll get this far easier than being granted access to sensitive records. Many wards have the clerk print reports for various organizations prior to ward council. He might use the Standard Reports, or he can design custom reports with your requested criteria and save these, which could then be printed off in just a few seconds in advance of each meeting.

Realize that MLS is incredibly powerful, but we all have different computer skills, and some clerks may find it challenging getting data that isn't in a standard report. This could account for the delay in getting it to you. Look over the wiki topic "Custom reports" for an example of how to print a part member family report. It will also give you many other ideas.
akjenkins

Post by akjenkins »

Currently, as a ward mission leader I am able to run many of the reports listed on this thread, but only if I go to the Church Clerk's office computer and run them out there. So, I have access to sensitive data in the clerks office, but not through my iPad. Whereas when I was in the Bishopric 6 months ago, I could get more information through my iPad from the lds.org website than I can now on the iPad. I keep getting told how important my calling is, yet I'm not feeling the level of support is commensurate on the tech side.

Something that would be of immense help to me in my calling would be to have access to some of the reports from lds.org or my iPad that currently I can only access from the ward clerk's computer.

I know we are all on the Lord's side - now how can we do his work more effective and efficiently? We poor ward mission leaders are trying to tell you one idea that would help us immensely in doing the Lord's work. Thanks for your help!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

akjenkins wrote:Currently, as a ward mission leader I am able to run many of the reports listed on this thread, but only if I go to the Church Clerk's office computer and run them out there.
Note that you have access to MLS only because the Bishop has decided to grant you access. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I don't think you'll find anything that says they must/should do it either.

On-line reports and apps are granted based on what the Priesthood Department decides to allow (as well as development priorities). Whatever they decide will apply to the entire church.

The on-line reports are not finished and we don't know what is on the roadmap. What you seek may be on there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

akjenkins...you registered a while a go but only recently started posting, so I don't know if you've been reading much in the forums or not. Just in case you haven't seen this elsewhere, there are two ways to submit official feedback:
1) Use the feedback link found on many of the lds.org web pages to submit your request
2) Get your stake president to talk to his priesthood leaders at church headquarters

Don't expect a quick turnaround on requests such as this. However, it's a way to provide feedback to those who make decisions. On the forums, we're just a group of members trying to help each other. Sometimes church employees come for a visit and review feedback on the forums, but there's no guarantee they'll see your request if it's posted here.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

kisaac wrote:I also think you'll get this far easier than being granted access to sensitive records.
If given properly rights to run reports can be given that ensure access to sensitive information is not available.

Of course I'm one that feels the clerks responsibility is one of an administrator for all the leaders of the ward not just the Bishop, and they should be more than willing to run any report leaders may need to allow them in their ministering duties. So for the most part leaders don't need access to the computer because our clerks office does all the administrator duties for them, this includes putting HT/VT data in the MLS data base.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

akjenkins wrote:So, I have access to sensitive data in the clerks office,
Then your user rights are not appropriate for your calling.
akjenkins wrote:Whereas when I was in the Bishopric 6 months ago, I could get more information through my iPad from the lds.org website than I can now on the iPad.
This of the biggest problems I see with released leaders, and its a hard concept. Yesterday I had access to the information today I don't. Its not that you are any less important as a person or a leader its just your train (Calling) is in a different station (I heard that in a lesson By Brad Wilcox at education week last year).
akjenkins wrote:I keep getting told how important my calling is, yet I'm not feeling the level of support is commensurate on the tech side.
The support is there its just not at the level that you think or feel you should have.

As a clerk its my responsibility the help you have the information you need in a format that will make your responsibility easier. How about a word document, spreadsheet or PDF of your report would that help you. If so I will give it to you that way, I can even email it to you. I would I do this? Because its my calling to serve you.
akjenkins

Post by akjenkins »

This is a good discussion.
Gary_Miller wrote:
akjenkins wrote:So, I have access to sensitive data in the clerks office,
Then your user rights are not appropriate for your calling.
I was not aware of this, only pointing out an inconsistency that I have observed in my personal experience. Is there a document that I can point my Ward Clerk or Bishopric to that would correct or tells about the appropriate user rights of each calling? And, what is deemed sensitive and what is not? (i.e. a list of part-member families vs. not knowing there is another head of household that is not a member? Or who is in that youth Sunday School class age group that lives close to this investigator family that could befriend a son/daughter?)

Also, it also seems incongruent that those on the Ward Council who are discussing sensitive matters can not have access to real-time basic information that would help them do their callings better rather than waiting for another print out report from the Ward Clerk. (What if your Ward Clerk has become ill or less active and is not as good or as understanding as the last Ward Clerk?) How about a tool that the Ward Clerk could set up and send out automatic reports to the Ward Council, and those reports could be uploaded to mobile devices? In other words, moving from the print out paper side to the upload iPad side.

Look at it also from this perspective: when the new Handbook 2 came out, it was published to the world, not just to a select few. It also gave new light and guidance on information and communication on how the Ward Council was to work. The technology is moving in that direction fast to help Ward Councils function as they should, I'm probably a little impatient, and only trying to express some things that would help me in my specific calling now. I do not want or need Handbook 1 or that level of sensitive information, I do need information to make me successful in carrying out Handbook 2.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”