MLS Suggestions

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jbh001

Add "Ward Mission" as a default organization

Post by jbh001 »

Instead of having the default Mission Leader calling be listed under Other Callings > Miscellaneous, create another default organization under Other Callings (i.e. in addition to Miscellaneous and Out of Unit Callings) called Ward Mission. The ward Mission Leader calling would be located there by default instead in Miscellaneous. This was discussed here.
LTORDUSA1-p40

Mls Version 8.2.1 Release

Post by LTORDUSA1-p40 »

I Downloaded Mls Version 8.2.1 This Evening. Looks Like Chq Released It Earlier Than 6 Apr.
srweight

???

Post by srweight »

LTORDUSA1 wrote:I Downloaded Mls Version 8.2.1 This Evening. Looks Like Chq Released It Earlier Than 6 Apr.

I assume that this was 2.8.1 not 8.2.1
mprusse

Pre-release calendar

Post by mprusse »

Many wards and stakes prepare a calendar for review by ward and stake councils prior to it going "live". If the calendar functions in LUWS 2.0 are going to be updated with much needed new functionality then I recommend having a way to create a calendar in LUWS that can be distributed and reviewed prior to it going live. If new calendar functionality in LUWS 2.0 will utilize an import function then that might take care of the problem. Users could use an external calendar app, database or spreadsheet app to put together a preliminary calendar and then after it is edited and approved it could be imported into LUWS 2.0 calendar. However, not all wards and stakes are going to have access to these 3rd party calendar apps to utilize this method thus necessitating the need for a pre-production calendar in LUWS.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I've got a suggestion for MLS. When I make a correction to a closed donation batch, print a new batch report, then close the window, DON'T tell me I need to print a new batch report because it hasn't been done. I JUST DID IT. :rolleyes:
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

macsense wrote:If the calendar functions in LUWS 2.0 are going to be updated with much needed new functionality then I recommend having a way to create a calendar in LUWS that can be distributed and reviewed prior to it going live.
We've just gone ahead and done it "live". Members don't generally look that far ahead unless they are one of the ones responsible for planning. Everyone should understand that the calendar is always a work in progress. Things get moved. So anyone who prints off 2009 in Nov 2008 has to expect things will have changed.

The problem with a "private beta" is that you have to select who can participate in it.
jeromer7

Boundary Changes

Post by jeromer7 »

Didn't want the developers thinking we've run out of ideas on how to improve MLS...

Adding the ability to fill out and save confidential forms in MLS has been extremely helpful. Likewise being able to model possible boundary changes within MLS is great. The next step here is to add the requisite forms to MLS and be able to fill in the data from the created models.
JLR
slmsz20

student/singles stakes

Post by slmsz20 »

An easier way to add stake leaders to Student/single stakes/wards would be a great feature. Right now I'm currently fighting to get the information for 8 wards' bishoprics, and the stake leadership to have an accurate callings and sustainings list. A request for out of unit record button than grabbed a copy of the membership card would be wonderful (it grabs a copy instead of actually moving the record). It would just create the out of unit record which you could delete later if the individual was released etc...

A bunch of other features would be nice for Student/singles units as well:

Batch send out of records where you could quickly move a bunch of records (50-100 at a time), similar to the boundry change feature but a way to enter the new addresses in a fast way. Student units have a huge bottle neck in data entry with the current system.

An easier custom field system would do wonders. The current system can take us days to add custom fields to everyone. If I could set a default with some check boxes or date boxes instead of manually adding a custom field to each individual record, we could more effectively track certain information we need to keep the stake functional.

There's a few others, but the main thing is we only have a week or two to get everything setup and under the current system a lot of stuff gets left undone due to time constraints.

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JKELogan wrote:An easier way to add stake leaders to Student/single stakes/wards would be a great feature. Right now I'm currently fighting to get the information for 8 wards' bishoprics, and the stake leadership to have an accurate callings and sustainings list. A request for out of unit record button than grabbed a copy of the membership card would be wonderful (it grabs a copy instead of actually moving the record). It would just create the out of unit record which you could delete later if the individual was released etc...

I'm not sure exactly what you are requesting here beyond what MLS already provides. For stake and ward leaders in student wards/stakes the leaders are often members of other wards in the surrounding areas. You can currently create an Out of Unit Member (under Membership Records > Create Records), where you are just asking for a copy of the membership record (the record remains in the leader's home ward). Out of Unit members can be assigned to callings just like regular members.

I imagine this capability was included in MLS primarily because of student wards and other similar wards and branches. Are you familiar with this capability? If not, take a look at it and I think it should cover your needs. If you are familiar with it, it would help if you could provide more specifics about how it doesn't meet your needs.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

It's been a while, but I've got a few more suggestions for future improvements in MLS...

1. Since the monthly financial statements are now silently transferred to us during a send/receive, how about a heads-up of some kind letting us know they have arrived? Not a pop-up either, as the right person might not get the message. I mean something like an email to the finance clerk through the MLS messaging system. Currently, it's too easy to forget to reconcile! :o

2. I have a situation where a member's donation to an Other account for scout camp was returned unpaid from his bank. After voiding his donation in MLS, each time I print a detailed financial report for the YM Pres and/or Scoutmaster, it has this blaring booboo in it from a person whose identity I would really like to keep confidential. Currently I used a black sharpie, but it makes the reports look horrendous. I'm open for suggestions, but ultimately, it would be nice if I could exclude certain items like these from reports.

3. When a detailed Budget Report prints on multiple pages, only Page 1 has a header. Pages 2+ have no header, page numbers, or anything identifying what it is. The detailed Income and Expense Reports have headers on all pages, why not Budget reports?

4. Printing reports in Landscape mode. Oh my, where do I start? After much discussion with the auxiliary leaders, landscape is the preferred format for the financial reports I provide them and the Bishop each month. The problem is, you CAN'T get the report prints to STAY in landscape mode for more than a few prints. It constantly gets reset back to portrait mode by MLS. So instead of pressing the "Print Selected Items" button (like most people would do), you must press Preview --> Page Setup --> Landscape --> OK and hope the screen auto-formats to landscape. (Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.) If so, press Print. If not, you must press Close --> Preview --> Print. I've done this sequence so many times I'm wearing my mouse out. Yes, I've tried setting the print driver default to landscape, but MLS just ignores it. :(

That's all for now.
Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”