Can't schedule an event in Calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
tanakap

Can't schedule an event in Calendar

Post by tanakap »

Hello,

I'm the new Relief Society Secretary and I'm told to schedule events in the Ward Calendar. Unfortunately, I'm unable to do so - when I select the date I want to schedule and drag the time block, the block turn blue but nothing happens - no editing window appears.

I brought the matter up to our Ward Clerk and he says he doesn't have to grant any permissions. He mentioned that others in the Ward have been scheduling events. I asked my husband, who is the Boy Scout Committee Chair and he says he can't schedule because he understands that he hasn't been given permission.

I called the Stake Clerk who says that our Ward Clerk controls the Ward Calendar and must give permission for me (and my husband) to schedule events. He says you can set up the permissions by Ward positions or by name.

I relayed the information to my Ward Clerk who insists that he doesn't have to grant permissions.

What's the correct answer?

Thank you.
mfmohlma

Re: Can't schedule an event in Calendar

Post by mfmohlma »

It might be a couple of things. Please tell us what web browser you are using. There are some issues with Internet Explorer 8. If so, you can try "compatibility mode" to see if that helps, or you could try a different browser.

If changing web browsers does not help, it does sound like your ward clerk may not have set up the calendar correctly or your new calling has not been updated yet (or correctly). If you go to lds.org/directory, then click on "Ward Leaders", then "Relief Society", are you listed as the secretary?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tanakap wrote:I'm the new Relief Society Secretary and I'm told to schedule events in the Ward Calendar.
How new? If you just got called, it might take a day or so for the calendar permissions to kick in. (Assuming the permissions were set "By calling" - and that you were placed in the right standard calling and not a custom calling in MLS.)

tanakap wrote:I brought the matter up to our Ward Clerk and he says he doesn't have to grant any permissions.
That may not be his role, but someone has to do the setup. It's not a free-for-all where any ward member can schedule anything.

Edit: You might want to refer your ward clerk to the Rights and roles section of the calendar help file.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

mfmohlma wrote:If so, you can try "compatibility mode" to see if that helps, or you could try a different browser.
Ugh, I should have said make sure "compatibility mode" is not on.
tanakap

Post by tanakap »

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your responses.
I've initially used IE 8, then Safari. When in IE 8, many of the titles in various boxes weren't visible, like Overview, Print, Settings, Agenda, Weekly, Yearly.

I switched to Safari and visibility is much better but I still can't edit.

I've been in the position for a few weeks now and my name is listed in the Ward Leadership.

Thanks for the link to the Rights and roles section of the calendar help file. Good to know that permissions must be set up and that all members don't automatically get scheduling and editing rights.

Mahalo (Thanks in Hawaiian)
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

tanakap wrote:I called the Stake Clerk who says that our Ward Clerk controls the Ward Calendar and must give permission for me (and my husband) to schedule events. He says you can set up the permissions by Ward positions or by name.

I relayed the information to my Ward Clerk who insists that he doesn't have to grant permissions.
Your stake clerk sounds like he understands how the calendar works. It sounds like he and your ward clerk should get together for some training. You'll have to decide the best way of suggesting that that occur...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tanakap wrote:I've initially used IE 8,
The calendar doesn't work correctly in IE8 (Known issues)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”