Calendar Sync no Longer Working

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
tcole13

Calendar Sync no Longer Working

Post by tcole13 »

I have been trying to get my calendar sync to work for the past few days and I have had no luck. I use iCal and an iPhone. I have created a subscribed to a newly generated Sync URL (regenerated when the sync stopped working). Am I missing something?

T
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Calendar Sync no Longer Working

Post by russellhltn »

Note that there is a 9 minute throttle on the sync. If any device you owns has made a request in the last 9 minutes, you'll get a empty file.

I was doing some testing yesterday and was getting blank files until around 8PM MDT. So I suspect the system might have had problems this weekend.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tcole13

Post by tcole13 »

Thank you for the information however I have been trying once an hour for the last 2 days at this point. Still no luck. I can generate new url's again and set the calendar to try on a longer retry basis. I'll reply tomorrow after regenerate and wait for a day.
tcole13

Post by tcole13 »

Also as a note I am getting a "Error -1" when I try.
ddhansen

Post by ddhansen »

I am also getting an Error -1 when I try syncing with ical, even after generating a new url. Has anyone figured out what may be going on?
youngr

Post by youngr »

I have been having this error for over a year. I can sync with Ical on my Iphone and my Ipad no problem, however I can't get Ical to sync with the Church URL on my IMacs. I just get the There was an unexpected error with the request on subscribed calendars error -1. This error means nothing to me nor does Apple have any info on the problem. I need a resolution please.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

youngr wrote:I have been having this error for over a year. I can sync with Ical on my Iphone and my Ipad no problem, however I can't get Ical to sync with the Church URL on my IMacs. I just get the There was an unexpected error with the request on subscribed calendars error -1. This error means nothing to me nor does Apple have any info on the problem. I need a resolution please.
The "error -1" means that no data was returned by the server. That could happen for a couple of reasons. One possibility is that the server is having a temporary problem; in this case, the problem would typically go away within a few hours or days. It doesn't sound like this is your experience.

Second, as was explained earlier, there is a 9 minute throttle. That means that any request for calendar sync data made by any device less than 9 minutes after a previous request will return no data. You apparently have at least three devices trying to sync. I don't know how much control you have over the timing of the other devices, but it's conceivable that one device syncs every 20 minutes at :00, :20, and :40, and the other device syncs every 20 minutes at :10, :30, and :50. In that case, a third device would have little chance of syncing at all. Of course, that is a contrived example, but something like that could be happening.

You could eliminate that possibility by completely disabling the sync on your other devices, waiting 10 minutes or so, and then trying to sync on your iMac.
jzimsky

Post by jzimsky »

Have the same issue, get the same -1. I don't think it is because I am attempting to sync too many times. Would be curious if anyone has fixed this problem. One difference between when I had this working and now is I now push my calendars to iCould.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jzimsky wrote:I don't think it is because I am attempting to sync too many times.
Does the service that you sync with provide a way for you to know how often it attempts to sync?

In the absence of a setting that you can configure to control the sync frequency, or documentation that explains what that frequency is, it seems like it is possible that the sync occurs often enough to trigger the throttling of the LDS.org Calendar's sync service.
jzimsky

Post by jzimsky »

On the MAC I set it to daily, still no joy. On the phone I have it set to manual. This morning I did a manual refresh on the MAC and it worked. Not sure where on the MAC it would log my attempts.

Return to “Calendar”