Can't delete a room under "Additional rooms & equipment"

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
austindwright

Can't delete a room under "Additional rooms & equipment"

Post by austindwright »

I hope someone can help me with a small issue I've run into...

I'm a calendar administrator for my Stake and I went into the "Locations & Rooms" area today to check on a few things. While viewing the entries under the "Additional rooms & equipment" section for our Stake Center location, I noticed that someone had (long ago, I imagine) created a "High Council Room" entry there.

"High Council Room" already exists as an "out of the box" room for scheduling in the "Rooms & Equipment" section, of course, so I'm not sure why such an entry was ever created in the "Additional rooms & equipment" section. Wanting to make use of the standard "High Council Room" room (rather than the "custom" one), I checked its corresponding check box and saved the location. Subsequently, I went through existing calendar events that had scheduled the "custom" room and changed the reservation to refernce the "standard" room.

Whew! Now that I finished updating all the calendar events so none would reference the "custom" room, I went back to the "Locations & Rooms" area and attempted to deselect or delete the "custom" room. When I clicked the "Save" button I was presented with the following message:
You have removed either some rooms or equipment. Any events that have scheduled these items will lose their reservation on these items. Are you sure you want to do this?
No problem; I understand the risk... So, when I clicked the "Yes" button on the message box, the box closed, but the location record remained in an unsaved state (i.e., the "Save" and "Cancel" buttons were still enabled and no change whatsoever was made to the location).

It seems that even though I confirm I want to proceed with saving changes to the location (including the removal of the "custom" room), the changes will not be saved. All I can do is click "Cancel", which of course doesn't effect the change I'm interested in making. :(

I can't imagine that this is an issue with account permissions, since I can do just about everything else under the sun as regards the calendar, locations and rooms. I think it might be a bug. Does anyone know what might be going on? Please help!

Thanks!

Austin
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Can't delete a room under "Additional rooms & equipment"

Post by aebrown »

austindwright wrote:Whew! Now that I finished updating all the calendar events so none would reference the "custom" room, I went back to the "Locations & Rooms" area and attempted to deselect or delete the "custom" room. When I clicked the "Save" button I was presented with the following message:
You have removed either some rooms or equipment. Any events that have scheduled these items will lose their reservation on these items. Are you sure you want to do this?
No problem; I understand the risk...
In my experience, that message reliably appears only when one or more events or restrictions still exists that refer to that custom room. So I really doubt that you succeeded as well as you thought you did in updating all relevant calendar events. Proceeding would make those events no longer refer to any room, which is not desirable.

That said, if you truly want to delete such a room, even though it is still being used, you should be able to. That used to work in the past; perhaps it was broken in the recent v2.5 upgrade.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:In my experience, that message reliably appears only when one or more events or restrictions still exists that refer to that custom room.
Does that include past events? That would be a pain.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
aebrown wrote:In my experience, that message reliably appears only when one or more events or restrictions still exists that refer to that custom room.
Does that include past events? That would be a pain.
Yes, it includes past events. I imagine that's why a mechanism was provided to allow you to remove such rooms, even if they were still being used.

However, I just tested this, and I'm seeing something different from what I've seen in the past, and different from what austindwright reported: I have no trouble deleting the custom room, whether it has associated events or not. But I never see any confirmation prompt (regardless of whether events -- past or future -- use it); the room is simply deleted when the changes to the Location are saved. Any events that referenced that room no longer refer to that room.

The unfortunate difference is that I never see a confirmation prompt (the rest of the behavior is as expected).

Return to “Calendar”