Confirming an Ordination

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
DWin

Confirming an Ordination

Post by DWin »

An adult member of my ward indicates he was ordained a Priest in August 2001. However, the ordination does not appear on his record in MLS. I have the name of his Bishop at the time, who performed the ordinance, but cannot reach him. The adult member would like to baptise his daughter in a week. What shall I do?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Confirming an Ordination

Post by russellhltn »

I think you may need to re-ordain him a Priest. A week is not a lot of time to find the witnesses required by the Handbook.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Confirming an Ordination

Post by lajackson »

Well, you do have a week, though. Does he have an ordination certificate? If not, follow the process in Handbook 1 and see if you can get it done. If not, as russellhltn said, ordain him.

You need to sustain him in sacrament meeting to be ordained, so you really might only have one day to figure it out -- Saturday. Plus an interview beforehand with the bishop, etc.

So much to do. So little time. The bishop should already be involved in this one, no matter which direction you wind up going.

Return to “Membership Help”