Out of Unit Callings in MLS - Feedback Wanted

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
giffordrb

Out of Unit Callings in MLS - Feedback Wanted

Post by giffordrb »

Currently in MLS (3.5.3) Out of Unit Callings show those serving out of stake. MLS currently defines Out of Unit to mean out of stake (assumes the stake is an extension of your home unit), so those with stake callings do not show up in the Out of Unit Callings area. Clerk Resources does this differently with Out of Unit Callings showing those serving in stake positions and also those serving outside of the stake in another section.

I have my own feelings as to what 'Out of Unit' means but I wanted to get feedback here related to this. Does it make sense that Out of Unit = Out of Stake, or do you consider Out of Unit = Serving in stake/outside of stake? I would like MLS and Clerk Resources to be consistent.
Ryan Gifford
MLS
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Out of Unit Callings in MLS - Feedback Wanted

Post by lajackson »

giffordrb wrote:Currently in MLS (3.5.3) Out of Unit Callings show those serving out of stake. MLS currently defines Out of Unit to mean out of stake (assumes the stake is an extension of your home unit), so those with stake callings do not show up in the Out of Unit Callings area. Clerk Resources does this differently with Out of Unit Callings showing those serving in stake positions and also those serving outside of the stake in another section.
Out of Unit to me means out of my local unit, which is my ward (or branch).

How does MLS 3.5.3 handle Out of Unit Callings where the member of one ward in the stake is serving in another special unit of the stake, such was a YSA ward or a foreign language speaking ward or branch?

And if 3.5.3 is as you mention, does the ward have to go back into the mode of entering stake callings at the ward level to keep track of those who are serving from the ward at the stake level? I thought we just got all of that resolved very nicely and cleaned up.

Just my own personal thoughts, of course.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think personally, I see Out of Unit = Out of Ward/Branch. That is, I'd like to see stake callings automatically populate the ward MLS so the leaders know the person has a calling.

While we can argue the semantics of "Out of Unit", what purpose does it serve to say that Out of Unit = Out of Stake for the purposes at hand?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

giffordrb wrote:Currently in MLS (3.5.3) Out of Unit Callings show those serving out of stake. MLS currently defines Out of Unit to mean out of stake (assumes the stake is an extension of your home unit), so those with stake callings do not show up in the Out of Unit Callings area. Clerk Resources does this differently with Out of Unit Callings showing those serving in stake positions and also those serving outside of the stake in another section.

I have my own feelings as to what 'Out of Unit' means but I wanted to get feedback here related to this. Does it make sense that Out of Unit = Out of Stake, or do you consider Out of Unit = Serving in stake/outside of stake? I would like MLS and Clerk Resources to be consistent.
To me, as a ward clerk, when I work in MLS I would expect all callings outside my ward to be out of unit.

However, if I had a stake calling instead and I worked in the Stake MLS, I would expect only out-of-stake callings to be out of unit.

When I work online my view is a ward view so I would likewise expect everything outside my ward to be out of unit. I don't know what the Clerk Resources looks like to someone with a stake calling so I can't say what I'd expect there.
giffordrb

Post by giffordrb »

Maybe a better way to describe what MLS currently considers 'Out of Unit' is any calling that requires the creation of an Out of Unit member record.

And in 3.5.3 stake callings will appear in MLS on the members record and in the callings by organization report, but not in the Out of Unit callings area, though they can be entered manually (resulting in the member showing duplicate callings).

Thanks for the replies so far.
Ryan Gifford
MLS
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

eblood66 wrote:However, if I had a stake calling instead and I worked in the Stake MLS, I would expect only out-of-stake callings to be out of unit.
I do have a stake calling, and I would not expect it to work that way. I would definitely prefer to see any calling listed that was not in the home ward.

I expect to see the same information listed for a given person, regardless of the viewer's calling or tool.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

giffordrb wrote:And in 3.5.3 stake callings will appear in MLS on the members record and in the callings by organization report, but not in the Out of Unit callings area, though they can be entered manually (resulting in the member showing duplicate callings).
I'm more interested in all callings making it's way back to the home ward/stake so they know the member has a calling. As for what section it appears in, I'm not so picky. As long as it's reasonable logical.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”