Calendar Permissions help needed

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jaraun

Calendar Permissions help needed

Post by jaraun »

I have some questions on calendar permissions, I am the stake clerk and can only see stake related activities on the calendar and my own wards calendaring events. This is also the case for each of our building schedulers they can see what they schedule and the ward they are in but can't see the other ward schedules so often time will schedule over somebody else. I too have scheduled over somebody else. What do we need to do differently. I would think that if I assign them as admin for the calendar they should see all calendar events no matter what ward or building.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Calendar Permissions help needed

Post by lajackson »

jaraun wrote:I have some questions on calendar permissions, I am the stake clerk and can only see stake related activities on the calendar and my own wards calendaring events. This is also the case for each of our building schedulers they can see what they schedule and the ward they are in but can't see the other ward schedules so often time will schedule over somebody else. I too have scheduled over somebody else. What do we need to do differently. I would think that if I assign them as admin for the calendar they should see all calendar events no matter what ward or building.
The new calendar system does not work this way.

I would suggest you begin by reading the online calendar instructions, paying particular attention to the difference between an "event" and a "restriction" (which was called a "reservation" until recently). From what you describe, as a building scheduler you are entering restrictions (formerly reservations). These do not reserve building resources (rooms/locations).

It is a paradigm shift. The new system is intended to work by having ward calendar editors schedule "events" with specific resources (rooms/locations). Once a calendar editor has done this, no one else will be able to schedule a conflicting event at the same location.

What it appears you are doing is that a building scheduler is adding a "restriction" (formerly "reservation"). This generally does not limit another editor from scheduling an "event" with resources, creating a potential conflict.

So begin by reading the online instructions to understand how the new system works. Then go through the topics in this Calendar Forum to learn how others have dealt with the challenges of implementing the new system. The new system works, but only if you understand it and use it according to the way it was designed.

In short, building schedulers resolve conflicts. They do not calendar events. It is a new world.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Calendar Permissions help needed

Post by jdlessley »

jaraun wrote:I am the stake clerk and can only see stake related activities on the calendar and my own wards calendaring events.
This is how the Calendar is designed. While you cannot view the calendars of other wards, anyone can view events scheduled at a location. The procedure is found in the calendar help. Go to "Agenda, Month, and Week Views" under ''Calendar Views".
jaraun wrote:... often time will schedule over somebody else. I too have scheduled over somebody else.
Restrictions (formerly called reservations) do not schedule anything. Using restrictions as if they do schedule or 'book' locations or rooms inevitibly results in conflicts. When you schedule a restriction, you are not alerted about any conflicts with other restrictions or events.
jaraun wrote:What do we need to do differently.
Schedule events on ward and stake calendars and do not use restrictions in place of events. Restrictions only limit what ward or stake can schedule an event that 'books' rooms. Using restrictions instead of events gives the false impression that locations or rooms are 'booked'. They are not 'booked' until an event is created on a ward calendar or the stake calendar.
jaraun wrote:I would think that if I assign them as admin for the calendar they should see all calendar events no matter what ward or building.
Anyone can see the events scheduled at a location or rooms at a location. This is done in Week view with the location selected in the "Locations" box.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”