LUWS User Account Policy & Agreement

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
121887mattandjulie

LUWS User Account Policy & Agreement

Post by 121887mattandjulie »

Does anyone know where the original user agreement is posted? I have been online so long I don't remember. One would surely think we all had to read and agree to abide by certain policies & guidelines in order to obtain our LUWS accounts. Anyway with a new LUWS 2.0 should come a new and updated user policy that all users must agree to. Some things that might be good to include in it if not already in the current one I cannot find might be:
1) User agrees to update their email address in their profile whenever it changes. (Note since users can choose not to show it in the directory there is no reason for them not doing so and it gives the admin justification for requesting them to do so or to disable their email notifications, without disabling their account access. IE violation of user agreement.
2) An easy link to the user policy from the ward web site main page along with automated notifications to all users when the guidelines significantly change, including those who have not subscribed to email notifications since user policies effect everyone, another reason to maintain their correct email address in their profile.:rolleyes:
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I have never seen a user agreement but I like the idea of having users agree to some things, particularly the issue of keeping their email addresses current. I have at least one return on every broadcast message because of changed email addresses.

I checked the new account application and didn't see any user policy. Has there been one in the past>

childsdj

Post by childsdj »

I have attached the original document that is to be filled out to sign up for the web site. I don't know if that is what you were looking for or not.
Attachments
LUWSReq.pdf
(48.07 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

DJC wrote:I have attached the original document that is to be filled out to sign up for the web site. I don't know if that is what you were looking for or not.

That form is for a stake to sign up to have a local unit web site. That's interesting, but Zane is looking for a user agreement that any member would agree to when they sign up for access to the web site.

One problem with this is that the registration process is for a username that can be used on several sites -- it's not a registration that is unique to LUWS. But if I recall correctly, there is at least one page of information you have to fill in your first time into the LUWS, where you are encouraged to enter your e-mail address, a preferred name, and other information. We could tie a user agreement into that.

But I fear Zane's hope is somewhat in vain. Such an agreement would hardly be binding, and I doubt that it would make much difference in how many people would update the e-mail address in their profile for LUWS when it changes. But if it would help any noticeable number of people to change their behavior, I would support a change along these lines.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Is this what you are looking for?

User Agreement for All Web Site Users:

To use this Web site, you must follow these policies and conditions:
  • I will use the information on this Web site only for Church use.
  • I will not use the information on this Web site for political, business, or commercial purposes.
  • I understand that participation in the membership directory portion of this Web site is purely voluntary. If I do not want personal directory information about my family or me to appear on the Web site, I will contact my bishop or branch president or clerk.
  • I will not post any information or images from this Web site onto any other Web site.
  • I will not share my user name and password with anyone.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Good job, Mike -- this is what we were looking for, although Zane is hoping for some changes.
Mikerowaved wrote:I understand that participation in the membership directory portion of this Web site is purely voluntary. If I do not want personal directory information about my family or me to appear on the Web site, I will contact my bishop or branch president or clerk.
This is an interesting statement in the User Agreement. I say that because this statement applies to every single member of any stake that has a LUWS. In most stakes, there are far more people who aren't registered for LUWS than are. Every one of them has to become aware somehow that if they don't want information to appear in the LUWS membership directory, they should contact their clerk or bishop/BP.

So putting it in the User Agreement, while not entirely pointless, does miss a whole lot of people. I guess that just reinforces the responsibility we have to communicate this privacy information to every member in our stakes somehow (but that's much easier said than done).
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Alan_Brown wrote:Good job, Mike -- this is what we were looking for, although Zane is hoping for some changes.
Thanks. Actually, it wasn't too hard to find; I just registered my wife and copied the info from the screen when it came up. :)
Alan_Brown wrote:This is an interesting statement in the User Agreement. I say that because this statement applies to every single member of any stake that has a LUWS. In most stakes, there are far more people who aren't registered for LUWS than are. Every one of them has to become aware somehow that if they don't want information to appear in the LUWS membership directory, they should contact their clerk or bishop.
Yeah, I can't find it now, but it's a similar policy the church has for cranking out ward lists, RS lists, etc. I create a Ward list every so often and have a few people that don't show up on it per the Bishop's request.

It's kind of a cool list, BTW. I can get the head of household, spouse, address, and phone number for every family on one side of a single sheet without having the font so tiny you can't read it. I'll see if I can create one with fictitious data and upload it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
srweight

Good Idea

Post by srweight »

zaneclark wrote:I have never seen a user agreement but I like the idea of having users agree to some things, particularly the issue of keeping their email addresses current.

It would be nice if every six months or every year when they login they are required to check their user profile and update their calling and email addresses with a email then sent to their email address that confirms their email address is correct. IF not the account is deactivited:D
121887mattandjulie

Deactivation User agreement

Post by 121887mattandjulie »

Here Here! I like it & the reason for the user agreement is to insure all users are aware of things like this that can happen so they don't have this as an excuse to be offended. Our goal is to encourage use & member participation so we want all the ground rules known up front. Problem with current user agreement is once you sign up you can never find it again! As previously stipulated there should be a link to it somewhere, either profile of drop down from LUWS toolbar. Also having automated 6 month check keeps web admin from playing the heavy if users refuse to update their profile information after 6 months, in the mean time web admins should be able to disable email notifications for any user who's information is inaccurate (Previously suggested in LUWS 2.0 wishlist). Any new user agreement would not be properly compliled until the new LUWS 2.0 app was ready for at least beta testing so any applicable features that need guidelines incorporated can have same.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”