Quadriplegic w/ adaptive PC — can I do MLS work at home?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
s_brady

Quadriplegic w/ adaptive PC — can I do MLS work at home?

Post by s_brady »

Hello,

Last week I was called to be the Membership Clerk in our ward. I have never had a clerk or MLS-related calling before but I am anxious and excited to learn as much as I can.

My purpose in this post is to ask a question related to my physical situation. I am a quadriplegic and therefore have no use of my hands. Fortunately, with a variety of adaptive hardware and software, I am able to use a computer with a fair amount of proficiency. My question has to do with whether or not and how I can fulfill my calling with my physical limitations.

I suppose the first question I should ask is:

Can much or even all of my responsibilities be done at home on my own desktop PC?

If I can do everything at home than that is the solution and this thread need not continue further. However, if part or all of my responsibilities must be done in the clerk's office at the meetinghouse then that presents many obstacles including the following:

• being able to maneuver my power wheelchair to get under the counter so I can reach the keyboard and mouse.
• I cannot use a regular mouse but need to have a large trackball.
• Even with a trackball, I cannot click. To alleviate this problem at home, I have a small app which causes the mouse to click whenever I stop moving it.

Those are just some of the obstacles that come to mind.

If someone could comment on these issues and questions and offer some possible solutions, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Steve Brady
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Quadriplegic w/ adaptive PC — can I do MLS work at home?

Post by russellhltn »

s_brady wrote:Can much or even all of my responsibilities be done at home on my own desktop PC?
I think the first question that has to be asked is your assignment to be the membership clerk or an assistant to the membership clerk? Because if it's the latter, then your exact assignment will be dependent on what the membership clerk wants you to do.

Some, but not all things can be done via the web portal. Most likely, you'll have to work with your ward to adapt the ward computer to your needs while still keeping it accessible for the other users.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
s_brady

Re: Quadriplegic w/ adaptive PC — can I do MLS work at home?

Post by s_brady »

Thanks for the reply. As far as I know, my calling is as the membership clerk. My understanding is that there are three clerks: 1) the main ward clerk, 2) a financial clerk & 3) a membership clerk. I will ask to make sure but that is my understanding right now.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”