Retention policy on MLS back-up files?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
abegregory

Retention policy on MLS back-up files?

Post by abegregory »

I had a ward clerk ask me yesterday whether he can delete old MLS back-up files, saved each time he backs up MLS. I can't find any instruction/guidance on retention of the MLS back-up files. Any insight?

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Retention policy on MLS back-up files?

Post by russellhltn »

I think it's safe to say that you can discard the MLS files at the same time you dispose of the financial records - that would be 3 years plus current in the US. (Other places may be 5 years plus current).

Even then, that seems longer then needed. You might want to keep year-end backups that long, but for the others, I doubt anyone would go back more then a few months.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Re: Retention policy on MLS back-up files?

Post by Gary_Miller »

Since its just a back up file I would think about 3 months would be acceptable. I keep six months of weekly backup on the clerk computer and a USB drive locked away in the clerks office. I also Have a USB drive I keep at home that I back up at the end of each month.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”