Birth Country always showing up in Spanish

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Birth Country always showing up in Spanish

Post by aebrown »

cheerioboy wrote:Would a name like Anaheim put the birth country in German? Solvang in Danish? The mission info (which comes after the birth country in display) is also in the same wrong language. My mission language was not Spanish, and my mission country wasn't a Spanish-speaking country.
I find it very hard to believe that the apparent language of a place name somehow connected to you would have the effects you report.

There are two additional scope questions that would be helpful to know (one I've already asked):
  • What does MLS show on membership records for the birth country and mission country and language?
  • Do any other clerks in your stake and/or ward have this same problem, or does it affect only you?
If you could answer those two questions it would help to narrow down the possible causes for the problem.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

Our stake presidency see it, too. I will find out about our neighboring stakes.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

cheerioboy wrote:Our stake presidency see it, too.
Just a hunch: have you checked cdol.lds.org to see what your stake's languages are listed as (under "General Information")? Maybe Spanish is listed there.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

In CDOL the stake is marked as English for written language. For spoken language it is marked as 84% English (this is the primary spoken language) and 14% Spanish. It would be very odd to be using the minor spoken language for a 'written' website.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JonesRK wrote:It would be very odd to be using the minor spoken language for a 'written' website.
Yeah. I think we're beyond this being a "feature". I sure looks like a bug. For some reason those fields are making a different call to determine the language. We were just curious as to just where it could be pulling that from. The fact there is a matching minor language suggests the call might be the equivalent of "StakeLanguage(1)" instead of "StakeLanguage(0)", or StakeLanguage(1) instead of Language(1). BTDT.

Since for most of use the two calls return the same thing, it hasn't been an issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

It's got to be on the data rendering side. I forced my window to be in Spanish by altering the "?lang=eng" at the end of the URL to "?lang=spa". The pages render in Spanish, but the data fields are untranslated. I'm trying to poke around the JavaScript using Firebug, but can't seem to find where that particular data field gets pulled.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

In CDOL the stake is marked as English for written language. For spoken language it is marked as 84% English (this is the primary spoken language) and 14% Spanish. It would be very odd to be using the minor spoken language for a 'written' website.
Those number had just changed after the last stake conference. We had updated the stats to reflect our demographics. That may be helpful. Previous to December/January, the stake had been listed as 100% English for spoken language. As far as written language, I guess we'd left that alone.

I verified that IE at the stake computer displayed country of birth and mission information as being in Spanish. I haven't gotten around to querying the neighboring stakes.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cheerioboy wrote:I verified that IE at the stake computer displayed country of birth and mission information as being in Spanish. I haven't gotten around to querying the neighboring stakes.
I'm still curious what your stake MLS says for the birth and mission info. That's quite a different question from what any browser might say on the stake computer.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

LDS.org sets two language cookies. I wonder if one of them is wrong.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

MLS renders in English.

I checked the surrounding stakes, and our wards. All stake folk who answered (4 of 8) reported "everything in English". Of them, all except one are 100% English/100% English. That clerk (English & Spanish) reported everything in English as well. Of the ward clerks reporting back in our stake, those that did reported English. I had one try rendering the page (via the LDS.org Web site) in another language. He picked German, but the birth country and mission and mission language were still displayed in English (though the labels [translations of Birth Country and Mission and Language] were in German).

Geburtsland United States
Missionsland und -sprache Germany, German

Way wrong, same way.

Here's something else: when I chose a foreign language, the dates show up in English (April, May, etc.).

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”