Sophos? wireless issue

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
curtispbond

Sophos? wireless issue

Post by curtispbond »

I am a new STS. I have one computer that could not connect to the internet. I saw that the Sophos related wireless networking components were not functioning. Uninstalled Sophos and it seemed to clear the problem, i.e. the computer connected with no problem. Re-Installed Sophos and the wireless dropped again. Hard-wired the computer to a port on the router and connected to the internet fine. Any suggestions on what might be wrong and how to correct it?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Curtis
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sophos? wireless issue

Post by russellhltn »

Is it just MLS that fails to connect, or does it affect other things like the browser as well?

If you can hard-wire it, it would be best to stick to that route.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
curtispbond

Post by curtispbond »

Not just MLS...browser is affected too. When checking device manager, all of the Sophos networking components have errors.
Running a cable is not a long-term option as the cable has to cross a hallway (safety hazard).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

curtispbond wrote:Running a cable is not a long-term option as the cable has to cross a hallway (safety hazard).
You may want to work with the STS and FM Group to have the wire run. Wireless is not as reliable as wired.

All I can suggest to fix the Sophos problem is to call Local Unit Support. But don't be surprised if they ask "why isn't it wired".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Wireless is not as reliable as wired.
I agree with that statement 100%. But I would note that I have three wards that use wireless to connect to the network and they all are using Sophos just fine. So it's not any kind of fundamental limitation on Sophos working with wireless.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It might be worth seeing if there are newer drivers for the wireless card.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I was having issues last week with Sophos on one of our clerk machines (not wireless), to the point where I put a call through to the GSC folks for assistance. They said it may or may not help, but asked me to first try to download and run a Sophos "fix" tool from the Sophos website. They said, even though it may end in an error, it has been known to fix a number of issues. I ran the tool, it indeed ended with an error, it fixed my problems and I was very grateful. Don't know if it will help in your situation, but it probably won't hurt to give it a try. Here's a direct link to the tool...

http://downloads.sophos.com/tools/FixIssues.exe

Return to “Clerk Computers”