New LDS.org Search

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

New LDS.org Search

Post by barkeraj »

We just release a brand new search for LDS.org. If you felt you couldn't get good results in the past and went to Google instead, come give us another try.

http://www.lds.org/search

The new search is smarter, faster and goes across sites (mormon.org, church history, etc). We'd love to hear your feedback (good or bad). We will continue to improve it over the coming weeks and months.

Enjoy!
marcporter

Re: New LDS.org Search

Post by marcporter »

Excellent work! I was one of those who turned to google in the past. I am liking the new search results. They are organzied neater, it's easier to see what the results are, less duplication, all around great!
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I have seen a glitch or two with the new search, it returns the result wanted but when clicked on, the link returns an error page.

Look up the video 'Have I Done Any Good?' (the Mormon Channel Alex Boye/Carmen Rasmussen Herbert one), and once there click on the link to view it, that returned the not found error. However, drill down to where it is in the Media Library, and it is there.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

JamesAnderson wrote:click on the link to view it, that returned the not found error.
I've passed it along, thanks for the report.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Search results always produce links that go to HTTP, not HTTPS. This is a major annoyance if you use the search when you are signed in to LDS.org, because whenever you visit an LDS.org page using HTTP, you will immediately be signed out of LDS.org. In addition to losing access to various tools, you might even lose work you were in the midst of creating in places such as Notes and Journal, Lesson Schedules, and Newsletter. Not nice!

In my opinion, the search results should always return https links, or at the very least preserve the protocol of the page used to do the search. That way if you are signed in to LDS.org, you won't be unexpectedly signed out simply because you follow a link.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

aebrown wrote:Search results always produce links that go to HTTP, not HTTPS.
Thanks for the heads ups. This has been recorded and will likely get fixed after conference.
mevans

Post by mevans »

BarkerAJ wrote:
aebrown wrote:Search results always produce links that go to HTTP, not HTTPS.
Thanks for the heads ups. This has been recorded and will likely get fixed after conference.
I hadn't gotten around to trying out the new search until today and I observe that the links are all https, so it looks like this got fixed :)
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The new search results are a lot better. Just saw this article:
http://ldsmediatalk.com/2013/07/19/upgr ... r-lds-org/

According to the article, the search is now provided by Google. I imagine a major limitation of Google is that non-public pages can no longer be searched – for example, some of the clerk resources at clerksupport.lds.org; also, Handbook 1…

I also notice that nothing from tech.lds.org is showing up – why is that? Those pages are public and indexed by Google…

Still waiting for cool features like searching for “bishop” and having your bishop’s phone number show up at the top of the results, as mentioned as a possible feature in a LDSTech broadcast a few months ago…
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sbradshaw wrote:I also notice that nothing from tech.lds.org is showing up – why is that? Those pages are public and indexed by Google…
It makes sense that tech.lds.org would be excluded, since it is not official content.

Return to “Main Church Website”