Tithing payed by transfer

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
luc_pichot

Tithing payed by transfer

Post by luc_pichot »

hi,

In France, the Church is asking the member to pay as much as possible by "bank transfer" and not anymore by checks. So we have more than 10 bank tranfer monthly. We found difficult to do the balance at end of our weekly donation. The screen Balance in the MLS (see attachement) is well developp for checks and not for bank transfer. So we would like to know if it will be possible to have the same table for checks as "bank transfer" in this screen to facilitate our task.

Thanks for your help

Luc Pichot
Attachments
bank transfer in the balance screen.doc
(185 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
simonawright

Re: Tithing payed by transfer

Post by simonawright »

I would contact your local office and explain the issue.

I can't imagine MLS being adapted any time soon to allow for local differences like this.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

luc_pichot wrote:The screen Balance in the MLS (see attachement) is well developp for checks and not for bank transfer.
The purpose of that screen is to show the donations you have processed locally in that batch and on that day. Church headquarters, or your Area office, processes all electronic donations.

I see no reason why you need to see donations processed electronically at the Area Office. It has no bearing on transactions accomplished locally.
luc_pichot wrote: So we would like to know if it will be possible to have the same table for checks as "bank transfer" in this screen to facilitate our task.
What task are you trying to facilitate? The screen you mentioned is there as a final check for the donation batch you are processing. Since you do not process any electronic donations there is nothing for you to check or verify.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:
luc_pichot wrote:The screen Balance in the MLS (see attachement) is well developp for checks and not for bank transfer.
The purpose of that screen is to show the donations you have processed locally in that batch and on that day. Church headquarters, or your Area office, processes all electronic donations.
It's been over 20 years since I was mission financial secretary as a missionary in Finland but even then we handled most things by bank transfer. But bank transfers there did not work like bill pay does in the US now. The payer would present a bank transfer slip to their bank for a transfer to the mission's account. The bank would make the transfer and the mission's bank would provide a copy of the transfer slip which we picked up each week. We would then record each transfer on the church's records.

From the OPs request, I expect they use a similar process with bank transfers handled locally. The amount for bank transfers would not be part of the deposit because those amounts have already been deposited. Instead the bank probably provides a statement with the batch of transfer receipts and the total of bank transfers in MLS needs to match the total on the statement. Combining bank transfers and checks would be much more error prone because you can't directly compare the appropriate totals.

I don't know the likelyhood of MLS being changed to support this kind of process for areas outside the US (probably mostly in Europe) but such a change would almost certainly create a better and less error prone money handling process for them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:I don't know the likelyhood of MLS being changed to support this kind of process for areas outside the US (probably mostly in Europe) but ...
I don't know either. But it has a far better chance of happening if it comes via the Area Office. A church employee might see a post here, but it's the Priesthood Department that sets priorities for development.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
eblood66 wrote:I don't know the likelyhood of MLS being changed to support this kind of process for areas outside the US (probably mostly in Europe) but ...
I don't know either. But it has a far better chance of happening if it comes via the Area Office. A church employee might see a post here, but it's the Priesthood Department that sets priorities for development.
Very true. In addition the Area Office would surely have to provide the complete requirements. So the best course of action would be to contact the Area Office or (ask the stake clerk contact them).

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”