Receiving notifications from different ward

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rkotter

Receiving notifications from different ward

Post by rkotter »

I receive event notifications from my own ward, but occasionally I also receive notifications for events that are not in my ward or stake. What would cause that and how can it be resolved?
mevans

Re: Receiving notifications from different ward

Post by mevans »

Are they notifications from a ward or stake where your membership records used to be? Or are they from somewhere you've never been? Have any of the following recently occurred:
- You moved?
- Boundary change to your ward or stake (including creating or dissolving units)?
- Were you (or are you) serving an an out-of-unit calling, such as serving in a singles or student unit?

The puzzling thing is you're getting notifications from your current ward, which usually seems to mean things are working correctly.

Do you ever log into the LDS Calendar web page? How recently have you done so? Logging in usually seems to fix some problems if people are getting notifications from a previous ward/stake, but your situation seems a little different.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Of course we're assuming this is event notification created by the calendar system and not someone who has decided to manually email them. I haven't seen a report of this particular situation before.

Are you an out-of-unit member of another ward/stake? That's the only reason I can think of where you'd get one that's not from your stake when you are receiving notification for your own ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rkotter

Post by rkotter »

Regarding your questions:

These notifications are not from a ward or stake where your membership records used to be. We have not moved or had a boundary change, I have not served in an out-of-unit calling, nor am I an out-of-unit member of another ward/stake. I believe that I have accessed the LDS Calendar web page when logged in not too long ago.

Is it possible that someone else has registered for calendar updates with an incorrect email address that happens to be my email address? For example, I have a nephew that has a similar email address and he somehow registered with a library using my email address and I got the notices of his books that were due.

Rich
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That seems like a possibility. I'm getting calendar notifications on a "Ward Directory E-mail" (as listed on my LDS Account) which is the same as my "personal" email in the directory.

But I don't remember any "verification" of that email address like there is with the primary email of the LDS Account to prove that it goes to "your" account. Which means you could be a victim of fat-fingering by the other member or a clerk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
hawksfamily

Post by hawksfamily »

We have a ward member that almost moved out a year ago who is receiving notifications still from our ward. Any ideas?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

hawksfamily wrote:We have a ward member that almost moved out a year ago who is receiving notifications still from our ward. Any ideas?
They have to open the calendar and subscribe to their new wards calendar. Once they do they will stop receiving emails from their old ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hawksfamily wrote:We have a ward member that almost moved out a year ago who is receiving notifications still from our ward. Any ideas?
Well, if they almost moved out, I don't see a problem. :D

Have them go into the subscription page on the lds.org calendar. That forces the system to check what ward they belong to.

mghawkins75

Post by mghawkins75 »

I recently moved into a new ward within the same stake. I logged into the calendar, and it shows me options to subscribe or unsubscribe from the various organizations in my new ward, so I know that my records have been updated, etc... I set my new desired subscriptions, but I am still receiving email notifications for events that are happening in the organizations in my old ward. How can I disable those notifications since I am no longer attending that ward? :confused:
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mghawkins75 wrote:I logged into the calendar,
If you logged in at the actual lds.org Calendar site, then the notifications from your old ward should stop. Logging in to the online site has been the trigger in the past that has stopped he former unit notifications.

However, since you moved within your stake and did not change stakes, if the problem persists, I would suggest working with your ward clerk to contact Local Unit Support to have them make any adjustments so that the Calendar knows your correct new ward.

Return to “Calendar”