Is 1080p of Priesthood Session Corrupt?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
dmcanova

Is 1080p of Priesthood Session Corrupt?

Post by dmcanova »

Specificly: When you download the Priesthood Session in 1080p format, when you play it back, the video quits at 1:10:14, -- part way through President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk.
Please do not pass this problem over lightly as "not previously reported". Instead, PLEASE - ANYONE, just prove it to yourself: Just download it (see link below) to your own PC, Play, then fast forward the video to about 1:20 minutes, (anything after 1:10 minutes) --- Note: Nothing, nadda! Can someone please post a good 1080p copy of the complete Priesthood Session online for us to download?

Unless somebody already fixed it within the last few moments, the problem is still there now. Thanks.

Download Link:
http://media2.ldscdn.org/assets/general ... nload=true
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Is 1080p of Priesthood Session Corrupt?

Post by jdlessley »

We can discuss this in the forum. But if you are expecting someone to fix this by reporting it in the forum then do not get your hopes up. We are users just like you with no special capabilities or access beyond what you have. You could get lucky and have the right ICS employee see this thread - but that is quite remote. The best place to report this is through the feedback link found on the LDS.org home page or any other LDS.org page with that link.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

It looks like an encoding error at that spot. JD's suggestion of using the feedback channel is the best advice. Even if someone had a clean copy that played to the end, posting it in a public forum would be outside the usage limits the church has set. Might have to strain your eyes some and watch the 720p version until they can get it fixed. :)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dmcanova

Post by dmcanova »

Thanks for the suggestions above. As a matter of fact, I did report it, just like I did for another glitch I discovered 6 months ago after the previous general conference in October, --- which was finally replied to about 30-40 days later, --- after the fact. (and after I gave up). I was just hoping that "maybe" mentioning it in this forum might get faster or better results, -- but I'm also a realist too, and I've already given up too. So much for that idea!

As for straining my eyes? I knew someone could not resist a little jab, (as I was actually expecting it), and thats OK (I'm laughing too). But since you brought it up, my take on this is: If they are offering it online for the public to download, then I assume IT IS WITHIN THE USAGE LIMITS, otherwise, they would not be posting it for everyone to download on the lds.org website, which, by the way, isn't that the name of this particular forum too? (but I also agree, I shouldn't expect any satisfaction from the folks that are responsible, just because I mentioned it in this forum). Nevertheless, since they are offering it for you and I to download, then I'm sure they intended it to playback smoothly too, don't you agree? And besides, 1080p does look great when viewing the program through my 60" HDTV, so why not indulge a little, right? (P.S. - And I did download 720p, and it looks just fine, -- but you get my point.) :)
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

dmcanova,

There is no real mechanism for end user reporting of issues, while there is a feedback mechanism, I have had the same experience you have. There are links on the media site that are broken and after a year and multiple feedback messages, I'm convinced feedback goes to some black hole. You either need to be the department responsible for posting the content to the site and request it be fixed, or i've been told on this board the other way to get something fixed is to have your Stake President call a General Authority.

Your experience just serves to solidify mine.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

dmcanova wrote:Thanks for the suggestions above. As a matter of fact, I did report it, just like I did for another glitch I discovered 6 months ago after the previous general conference in October, --- which was finally replied to about 30-40 days later, --- after the fact. (and after I gave up).
It's my understanding that getting content altered|changed|updated on the "mainstream" lds.org web pages (even if it's fixing a file error, like the one you discovered) involves a bit of red tape, including, getting it on the radar of things to be worked on, actually getting fixed, then getting the update through the necessary ecclesiastical and legal screening/approval processes. 30 days (or more) might not be unreasonable to see a less critical update go through.
dmcanova wrote:As for straining my eyes? I knew someone could not resist a little jab, (as I was actually expecting it), and thats OK (I'm laughing too).
I'm glad you took it in the way it was intended. ;) Obviously, the important part is alerting the church to a corrupt file on their web site that should be corrected.
dmcanova wrote:But since you brought it up, my take on this is: If they are offering it online for the public to download, then I assume IT IS WITHIN THE USAGE LIMITS, otherwise, they would not be posting it for everyone to download on the lds.org website, which, by the way, isn't that the name of this particular forum too?
By "usage rights", I was simply referring to the church's Rights and Use Information, where they state:
You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your personal, noncommercial use unless otherwise indicated. [...] You may not post material from this site on another website or on a computer network without our permission. You may not transmit or distribute material from this site to other sites.
All I meant was, even if I somehow had a working HD copy of that session, I couldn't post it anywhere for you to access it without permission from the church.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I wonder if it's like we discussed in this thread... https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15854 ...where the newest available videos sometimes give us trouble. It looks like it was downloaded correctly but the file size is actually too small and it will freeze up somewhere in the middle if you try to play it. So far, the solution for me is to try and download it again in a week or two.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mrrad wrote:I wonder if it's like we discussed in this thread... https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15854 ...where the newest available videos sometimes give us trouble. It looks like it was downloaded correctly but the file size is actually too small and it will freeze up somewhere in the middle if you try to play it. So far, the solution for me is to try and download it again in a week or two.
I didn't post, but I confirmed the problem. The full 4GB downloads, but it dies at the indicated spot.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

dmcanova

Post by dmcanova »

Thank you for confirming that this is a valid issue (and in more ways than one) and that I am not the only user experiencing this problem.

Return to “Main Church Website”