Coax connections

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
aclawson

Coax connections

Post by aclawson »

Since none of the projectors these days come with coax inputs and VCRs are not being replaced as they wear out are there any good reasons not to re-terminate the coax runs for satellite distribution and replace the existing F connectors with RCA wallplates? You could also get some RCA/F adapters but push-in connections would be much simpler to deal with.
michaelfish

Re: Coax connections

Post by michaelfish »

I depends.

If the coax run has any splitters or taps in the line then no, you won't be able to do this. Taps and splitters cannot be used with composite video.

However, if the coax is a 'home run' (one cable from source to destination), Yes this would allow a composite signal for a projector.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

not sure if I got that technically michaelfish... but isn't one issue that there are multiple feeds in the chapel at times, at least for sound. Chanel 3 is satellite, Chanel 6 is chapel sound, other channels for languages?

If all we're thinking about is video, can what aclawson is suggesting work?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
rogerscr

Post by rogerscr »

This would work with the proper video distribution amplifier instead of an RF distribution amp but I do think it would be best to change the jacks from F-type to RCA with a new label to avoid confusion. I would only change out the jacks that are needed for projectors only though. For example I would love to change out the jacks in our gym that I use for projectors, nobody uses them for TV reception so the change would not effect any other use. The jacks in our Relief Society room I would not change, someone could forseeabily use that with a TV or alternate language feed so it would effect other use scenarios. I think instead I would ask for an additional run for the composite video feed. The thing to remember with composite video is there is by definition no audio. Keeping those things in mind I would bring it up with your FM group and let them run the new cables or convert the jacks as appropriate.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aclawson wrote:Since none of the projectors these days come with coax inputs and VCRs are not being replaced as they wear out are there any good reasons not to re-terminate the coax runs for satellite distribution and replace the existing F connectors with RCA wallplates? You could also get some RCA/F adapters but push-in connections would be much simpler to deal with.
It depends on what the future brings. If the church decides to do more webcasting, then you'd probably want something else other then composite video.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Russell,

I'm not following.... Why not have a composite for the satellite transmission into the chapel? That will be around for a while. Are you suggesting a larger project to integrate a webcast 'receiver' into the AV system that integrates?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:Why not have a composite for the satellite transmission into the chapel?
That works fine now, but it won't work very well for receiving a webcast. Not unless you convert the computer output to a composite signal.

I think the future will bring something other then composite. But it's unclear how soon that will happen.

The suggestions on changing the ends is good for now, but I don't see it as a "10 year" solution. If anyone is going to string cable, I'd rather it be something that can handle both now and future. Maybe some Cat 6 and baluns.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

russellhltn wrote:
JohnShaw wrote:Why not have a composite for the satellite transmission into the chapel?
That works fine now, but it won't work very well for receiving a webcast. Not unless you convert the computer output to a composite signal.
i still don't follow, a laptop will plug into the projector just as well as the composite will for satellite transmissions. If you're talking about receiving a 'webcast' into the integrated AV system, that is another story and should be moved back to the Satellite Rack.

That is something I've been thinking about because we broadcast to 8 meetinghouses when we do stake conference. I'd love to integrate a webcast 'receiver' into the already existing system, but the FMG looks at me and says, why don't you just plug in a laptop to the projector.

If you're FMG thinks about a 10 year strategy, please send me the stake you live in.. I want to move near unto you :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, let me back up a bit. When our system was installed, a video line was run to the pulpit with a RCA jack on the end. It may not have been labeled real well, and it was the same plate as the "Record out" from the sound system, so someone might not know what it is. This was in addition to the usual RF out/F connector.

I had thought this thread was about adding a video out for use in "overflow" conditions - such as the cultural hall. But going back to the OP, maybe not.

If the question is just about getting video to the pulpit, then yes, a video line would be good. But if it's to go to the cultural hall, well, that may get sticker. Using a laptop to feed a second projector isn't likely to work out well due to delays. A video line might be good for satellite broadcasts, and possibly sourcing webcasts. But my not be so good for receiving webcasts.

Seems to me some Cat 6 could give you some flexibility: composite now, component/HDMI whatever later.

rogerscr

Post by rogerscr »

That would be an interesting infrastructure, Cat5e/6 run to all locations and balun faceplates. It should work for existing composite infrastructure and could be upgraded, I am just not sure if it can care RF channel based signals. Only problem I see with HDMI being the future would be the lack of ability to cary multiple channels. Maybe ATSC over coax with HDMI over Cat5e/6 will be the next stage.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”