General Conference Live on Apple TV?

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
Hilohi

General Conference Live on Apple TV?

Post by Hilohi »

Will I be able to watch General Conference live on Apple TV? I couldn't find a definitive answer by using Google or by searching here.

The Church's website says that GC can be watched on Apple TV via iTunes. However, its website also says that availability is 1 day, which is obviously not live.

I've been debating whether I should buy an Apple TV or not, and being able to watch GC live would probably be the deal maker.
mprusse

Re: General Conference Live on Apple TV?

Post by mprusse »

As far as I know it is not "live" on Apple TV anywhere. Being able to watch it after the fact is very nice on Apple TV as you can view it in HD from podcasts. The easiest way for me to watch it in my home since I don't have a cable station that covers it, is to simply pick it up on my Mac on lds.org and then use AirPlay from my Mac to push it to my Apple TV. Works fantastic.
n1hilton

Post by n1hilton »

General Conference live is excellent on a Roku device via the Mormon Channel.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The BYUtv app for iOS devices can also stream conference to your Apple TV with AirPlay...
laurencc

Post by laurencc »

It was dispapointing this conference on my mac, iphone 4, and apple tv. Unlike last conference, I couldn't stream it to my apple tv. There was no button. I tried downloading mormon channel, and byu tv and both did not work. Super sad. Then when I expanded the general conference in full screen there was a hiccup in the code.
Sad day
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

I'm doing it fine from Mac. The icon for AirPlay will only appear if your Mac sees a viable AirPlay receiver. You may want to check that your AirPlay has network connectivity to your home network.
nathanpc

Post by nathanpc »

I have found a way to watch conference on the Apple TV. In the Youtube channel, search for the exact Case-Sensitive YouTube video code. For example, the April 2015 Saturday Morning session is found at http://youtu.be/ZUhDVwCDrMY (I got this from this Google+ post https://plus.google.com/110097013145129 ... DVvH2QUfk9 from a Google search for "lds conference"). Thus on the Apple TV you need to search for "ZUhDVwCDrMY".
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

I've tried this using the apple tv app with no luck. Could you include step by step instructions? Thank you.
nathanpc

Post by nathanpc »

(1) Go to https://plus.google.com/110097013145129641773, the Google+ channel for LDS General Conference
(2) At 9:00 am each morning of general conference they posted a link to that day's YouTube streamed conference video.
(3) Click the image and open it at youtube.com get the share link. For today it is http://youtu.be/Vse1i0BDv5M
(4) On your Apple TV, search for "Vse1i0BDv5M". This is case sensitive and so you will be switching between uppercase and lowercase tabs.
(5) That day's conference should display, where you can click on it.

I hope that helps. No guarantees that this will work next conference.
nathanpc

Post by nathanpc »

Sorry, you have to go to the YouTube app on the Apple TV to search for that string.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”