Sunday School Class Rolls

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
terrysackett

Sunday School Class Rolls

Post by terrysackett »

I have three problems with class rolls in MLS 2.8, but I haven't figured out how to explain on of them, so here are the other two:

1. One of my adult male ward members is added to every adult Sunday School class we have (Doctrine, Essentials, Temple Prep, Fam Hist, and Fam Relations). I have deleted him from all but Essentials (he has been a member for less than two years). I have deleted from all, including Essentials. I have reset his default organizations. I have deleted all of his organizations, including elders quorum. I have checked the class membership rules. I have deleted classes and recreated them. Every time I remove him from a class, close the Sunday School window, and go back in, there he is, on all of them again! Sometimes as the only member in the class. If I concurrently open his individual record, it shows no assigned organizations for him, but he is still on every Sunday School class roll.

Does anyone know how I can assign him to only one class?

2. At the beginning of the year, I had to add many members to each of the youth Sunday School classes, because MLS didn't add them, or put people in the wrong classes. They all showed up in the YW classes and AP quorums correctly, and I checked the class rules for each, and reset each member's default organizations, but I ended up having to do the rearranging and adding anyway.

Does anyone know why this would happen? Will I have to do this every year?

Also, Is there a way to change the rules for a class after the class has been created?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Perhaps instead of deleting and recreating the classes in question, you need to click the Reset Classes link on the Sunday School organization screen. Your post is not clear whether you had explored this additional method.
LTORDUSA1-p40

Post by LTORDUSA1-p40 »

I have been having the same problem since we received the 2.8 version of MLS. I sent an inquiry to Salt Lake Headquarters and they suggested that I refresh my database and after 3 hours down load my database.

A suggestion that I received from the forum has seemed to help. That Suggestion said to set the minimum age of the class to 200 leaving the other selections blank or both male and female members. To do this you need to copy who is in the class, delete the class by sending class members to the Gospel Doctrine class and remove the class, then create a Sunday School class according to your needs. After this is all done, move your selected members back into the class. You need to leave the Gospel Doctrine class minimum age at 18.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Might it be that a clean install of MLS 2.8 would help? Perhaps some corruption has crept into the program files. You can login here to download the latest stand-alone version of MLS to perform a clean install. I seem to recall an MLS message within the last year or two that explained how to log in so that the download is accessible to you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jbh001 wrote:Perhaps some corruption has crept into the program files.
More likely something has crept into the data files. Using MLS's back and restore might help as it forces MLS to rebuild the indexes.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

jbh001 wrote:Perhaps instead of deleting and recreating the classes in question, you need to click the Reset Classes link on the Sunday School organization screen. Your post is not clear whether you had explored this additional method.

Sorry I wasn't clear on that point. That was the first thing I tried.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

jbh001 wrote:Might it be that a clean install of MLS 2.8 would help? Perhaps some corruption has crept into the program files. You can login here to download the latest stand-alone version of MLS to perform a clean install. I seem to recall an MLS message within the last year or two that explained how to log in so that the download is accessible to you.
RussellHltn wrote:More likely something has crept into the data files. Using MLS's back and restore might help as it forces MLS to rebuild the indexes.

I actually should not have typed 2.8, because the issue is not exclusive to that version. The issue was first brought to my attention around the first of the year when I printed new rolls for the quarter. That was still version 2.7.

I'll try the backup and restore next, then the clean install if I can download it. I tried to download the beta of 2.8 when it was available, but I don't know the password. The restore would be a good thing for me to learn to do, anyway.

Thanks everyone.
terrysackett

Post by terrysackett »

I'm not so sure I'm real crazy about the whole "reset" concept.

I reset my Sunday School classes and lost all of the instructors' names and sustaining dates, and lost all of the classes except Doctrine, Essentials, and the youth courses (which were all divided into single years, not the pairs in which they had been).

I'm just glad that general conference is this weekend, and stake conference is next weekend, so I'll have time to recreate the classes and put the instructors back into their calling.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Make sure to print out a hard copy of everything before you start so you have something to refer to if you need to reconstruct anything. But you already knew to do that. To be thorough, I would perform a back up first, then also printout the current HT & VT routes along with the Callings By Organizations list just in case.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”