Gospel Library for Windows 8

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
joe_coolish

Gospel Library for Windows 8

Post by joe_coolish »

I noticed that there was no Gospel Library application currently in development for the Windows 8 platform.

I started working on a prototype this last weekend, and I am now to a point that I would like to share with the community.

I have access to the iPad edition and that is my baseline for v1.0 functionality.

What I have completed:
  • Gospel Library downloading and conversion to a format that works with Windows 8
  • Basic navigation including 3 levels of content organization (Content Folders/Books, Book details and chapters, and chapter content)
  • Basic Windows 8 contracts (Search (very basic), Settings, etc)
  • Unit Tests for data downloading and conversion
What I need now:
  • Graphics and graphic design help
  • Testing
  • Project management here on LDS Tech
  • Project Guidance
There are some caveats to testing Windows 8 applications. You must have Visual Studio 2013 installed on your computer and a Developer license in order to side load applications on to your devices. I have an MSDN subscription so I have no idea how much either one of those costs.

Graphics help and design reviews would be the most helpful at the moment. Please contact me if you can help out. (I've also attached a screenshot to help prove my need for help in this area)

Any feedback would also be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Scripture screenshot1.png
Screenshot
(58.58 KiB) Downloaded 7026 times
Eric84

Re: Any efforts for Windows 8 applications?

Post by Eric84 »

Joe, this looks interesting. Is this an official development project?
simzz

Re: Gospel Library for Windows 8

Post by simzz »

It looks great so far.
My 15 year old son is the dev who made LDS Pages as a service to the community, but realizes it was just a stop-gap until something else comes along.

We would be happy to help test your app or be of assistance in any way. The Windows LDS community deserves an app more sophisticated and your app looks like an awesome start.

Thanks,
John
joe_coolish

Post by joe_coolish »

Thanks for the feedback!

It currently is not the official project, but I am working to make it so. I have a reached out to some people to investigate how to move the code into the Church's repository.

It would be great to get some guidance from some of the LDSTech members as well.

As for testing, I was thinking about releasing the App to the store as is, and then get feedback and release updates until the Church takes the project in officially. The only thing I don't know about is if I do release it under my own name, will I be able to use the Gospel Library Catalog Web Service?

If it's not a problem, I will try and push it to the store this weekend.
Eric84

Post by Eric84 »

Joe, yeah it would be great to get something official going. The currently available Margins application is great for example, but it lacks two things. It doesn't have as much content as I would like and it doesn't have the ability to integrate with the LDS cloud stuff for syncing notes etc. The developers have done a great job to provide note/presentation syncing through the Microsoft account and it works fantastic. (i.e. create a lesson on my desktop and then use it during class on my tablet.) My only fear is that someday they will not have the size to maintain the code and I'll wish all my notes were in the LDS cloud. So, if we could just get something official or have the church grant 3rd party access to their services, either would be a great start.
joe_coolish

Post by joe_coolish »

Eric, I was involved in the WinMo Gospel Library project, so I have a pretty good understanding about how to work with the current Church services.

I hope to fix both issues you are facing. The first one (content) is addressed in the current code. I was able to successfully download 2000+ different pieces of media from the Gospel Library Catalog Web Service.

I'm reading up on how to use your LDS account to sync notes and highlights. Once I figure out the system, I will integrate it in.

Like I said, the iPad version is the baseline, and I'm rapidly approaching it. Hopefully I can get a demo out soon!
simzz

Post by simzz »

Wow, sounds like you are making amazing progress in very little time.
Let me know how I can help.

Thanks,
John
johnnysimmons_3

Post by johnnysimmons_3 »

I would be interested in helping any way I can as well. I have a Surface RT I can test with too if it helps.
bradbartz

Post by bradbartz »

When your ready I can help test. I already have msdn so ready when you are. Thanks for getting this going!
aedtl

Post by aedtl »

I can help test. I have a Surface Pro and a Desktop running Windows 8.

Return to “Gospel Library”